Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Count the number of XMP Local Corrections (brushes, gradients) made with LR

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have edited a picture with several local corrections (gradients and brush) under LR.

And when i look on the metadata (XMP), i cannot see all the local corrections. 

How can i count the number of local corrections i made just by reading the metadata with ExifTool ? 

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance ! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

TBMK- History steps of Development are only recorded in the Lr-Classic Catalog - History panel of Develop module.

Metadata saved to XMP will only show the last edited state of the image, and only in a format that Adobe editing software can interpret.

(Thus the reason that 'Restoring' a Catalog by importing files+XMP wll not have develop history.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TBMK- History steps of Development are only recorded in the Lr-Classic Catalog - History panel of Develop module.

Metadata saved to XMP will only show the last edited state of the image, and only in a format that Adobe editing software can interpret.

(Thus the reason that 'Restoring' a Catalog by importing files+XMP wll not have develop history.)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello  @Rob_Cullen !

Thanks for your answer ! 

For example, in this post of ExifTool forum :
https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=6860.msg34367#msg34367
 there are several times “Paint Correction Mask What” and “Paint Correction Mask Dabs” because the editor has used several times LR brush : 
Paint Correction Mask What : Mask/Paint
Paint Correction Mask Value : 1.000000
Paint Correction Mask Radius : 0.160054
Paint Correction Mask Flow : 0.888889
Paint Correction Mask Center Weight: 0.000000
Paint Correction Mask Dabs : d 0.575130 0.510497
Paint Correction Mask Dabs : d 0.683198 0.510497
Paint Correction Mask Dabs : d 0.367876 0.205525
Paint Correction Mask Dabs : d 0.656551 0.260773
Paint Correction Mask Dabs : d 0.548483 0.216575

Do you know if it is still the case now ? Apparently not. But is there a way to reproduce the above metadata ?

Because when i edit an image with several brush at different locations with LR 10.1.1, i have only one block of : 
Paint Correction Mask Dabs : d 0.656551 0.260773

and not several ones, while reading the metadata with ExifTool.

What does the “d 0.548483 0.216575” of “Paint Correction Mask Dabs” mean ? Sometimes, it is “M” instead of “d”. Do you know what does “M” mean ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use the Data Explorer plugin to show the counts of the various local corrections (e.g. Local Adjustment Brush Corrections).  

You could use the Show Catalog Metadata plugin to examine the internal Develop settings for the photo in format easier to interpret than the XMP output from Exiftool.  For example, the Adjustment brush settings look like:

johnrellis_1-1620844707472.png

Copy and paste the text from that window into a text editor for easier viewing. I don't remember the exact format of the data for the various tools, but it will become quickly apparent if you try it with a test photo.

LR saves the full Develop settings in the XMP metadata for a file. Exiftool isn't ideal for examining nested XMP structures though.   If you're working with a raw file, just do Metadata > Save Metadata To File and exit the .xmp sidecar in a text editor (the XMP will be formatted for easier reading).  But if you're working with a non-raw, you'll need to extract the raw XMP metadata to a file:

exiftool -b -xmp 5069314962.jpg > out.xmp

The XMP won't be "pretty printed" in indented format, so open the contents in a text editor and copy and paste it to one of several sites that provide free online formatting of XMP (google, I don't recall their names).

But the Show Catalog Metadata plugin is usually easier if you're just looking at a couple photos individually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis Very informative, thanks.

LR saves the full Develop settings in the XMP metadata for a file.

So I am wrong in my (simplistic) understanding of the 'saved' metadata in XMP? 

It is all there, but just not appearing in History if you re-import a file that has XMP metadata..

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, the history steps are not stored in the XMP metadata, just the current Develop settings. When you do Metadata > Read Metadata From File, there will be an entry in the history, "From Metadata".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you so much @johnrellis ! 
The 2 plugins are super useful ! In fact, i found a third option using ExifTool (using macOS terminal with this command line):
exiftool -G -a 5069314962.jpg > out.xmp 
-g or -G  specifies to organize exiftool output based on these groups
-a allows duplicate tags to be extracted (this is super important !)
This command line will output the metadata of the image 5069314962.jpg by grouping them and allowing duplicated fields. And you save the output of exiftool into out.xmp file.
Then if you used brush to edit your picture, you will find a PaintBasedCorrections tag in your metadata. It will be duplicated if you used several times the brush.
The other tag names are listed on ExifTool website, here

@johnrellis @Rob_Cullen Thanks again for your help ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines