• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Couple of basic questions about cloud storage limits and interface with Dropbox

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I am returning to using Lightroom Classic after many years of not using it. I use a Macbook Pro running Catalina.

Here are my questions:

1 - I am using Dropbox to sync all of my photos in the cloud. So does or how does the Adobe gigabyte limit (20 GB or 1 TB) affect me?  I believe the Adobe cloud storage is used for metadata and versions of photos I"m currently editing. But  I also assume that my entire photo collection will not be stored by Adobe and therefore will not count against the Adobe storage limit. Is this correct, or am I missing something? 

2 - the last time I used Lightroom, it was possible to specify the particular Dropbox folders I wanted to display in Lightroom. Is this still the case? I ask this because a couple of other DAM apps I checked out displayed my entire Dropbox and it was not possible to limit that. 

Thanks!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

1: Dropbox and Adobe Create Cloud are two entirely separate things, so storing images in Dropbox does not affect the CC storage in any way.

2: The Dropbox folder is just another folder as far is Lightroom is concerned, so Lightroom can show that folder (or a subfolder) and its images just fine. Just make sure that you do not enable 'smart sync' in Dropbox, because that deletes the images from your local Dropbox folder (it keeps only a link to the online file) and that is something Lightroom ca

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1: Dropbox and Adobe Create Cloud are two entirely separate things, so storing images in Dropbox does not affect the CC storage in any way.

2: The Dropbox folder is just another folder as far is Lightroom is concerned, so Lightroom can show that folder (or a subfolder) and its images just fine. Just make sure that you do not enable 'smart sync' in Dropbox, because that deletes the images from your local Dropbox folder (it keeps only a link to the online file) and that is something Lightroom cannot work with.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, John,
I was hoping to understand using dropbox with lightroom.  If I house all my photos in the dropbox folder on my harddrive and it syncs as changes are made, is it saving those changes to a catalog (which I also moved to DB) in that catalog, or has it then started to save the catalog to the LR folder on the HD?   My purpose for even using DB for this was to be able to edit from different devices and now I'm having issues.  I'm a bit confuused on how to make it work or if that's even possible.  I used the drob box regularly for work stuff but it's all text docs. I've searched online, you tube etc and just can't get an answer I understand.   I haven't ever used smart previews but that seemed to be what one persona online said would work without a hitch.  I'm a hobbyist so it's live or die with dropbox I just was hoping to be able to have access to edit from both desktop and laptopp  and those changes all be saved in the same catalog.  I'm a windows user working on a brand new PC built for my photo eiditing purposes..  Thanks in advance for any advice.  Candace / Candace@YourFloridaHomePro.com to email me.

Candace Curtis Candace@YourFloridaHomePro.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines