Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CPU 100% on Lightroom 9.2 Export

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, 

I am having major issues since upgrading to 9.2. Exporting takes forever and CPU is up to 100%. 

Exporting 1172 files after 1 hour is at 50% and CPU stays at 100% whole time. 

Anyone else experiencing this? 

Do I need to simply create a new Catalog? 

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core Processor

128GB Ram

GeForce 2080 8GB Graphics Card.

The system should handle it. 

Any help is welcome! 😄

Thanks in advance. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which size does your RAW files have?

Do you have use a lot of local adjustments (brushes, graduated filters, radial filters )?

How about your export settings?

The first thing that you should try is to switch off the GPU support from the Lightroom preferences and check if that helps to fix the issue

Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom.

Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File size on raw are about 52mb, a few adjustments, nothing crazy tho.

I turned off GPU support and it seems almost worse.

Taking a long time to export. This was fixed a while back, but seems bad again. 

I'll take a look to see what other settings I can tweak! Thanks for the links and the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think 100% CPU when exporting a lot of files is expected. Adobe has tweaked the software in recent years to use more of the CPU when exporting and importing. There really isn't anything you can do about this, other than export in small batches.You do not need a new catalog. Your system (most systems) cannot handle it; other than by using 100% CPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My system is brand new and cost me $7000, it is the software for sure. 

I've had this issue in the past with Lightroom and it was fixed for a while. Last build seems to have broke it again or I have a setting off somewhere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, its the software, CPU going to 100% on large exports is what Adobe has programmed. And its the hardware. The combination of these things determines speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size are your exports in pixel dimensions?

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8174x4598 approx 24MB each. 

Took 1.5 hrs for 1100 images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, no wonder, those are huge. I will try it here tomorrow on my Win 10 high spec PC spinning HD to see how long it takes for me. If I have time, I will also test it on my OS NVME SSD.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I finished up for now on what I'm working on. If I have some time, I'll revert to 9.1 and try it again, see what happens! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought, the effective overall speed of the process will be be limited to the weakest link. Have a review of the destination of the final file location, connection, capacity of storage etc. The water pump can be at full capacity but there may be restriction at the reception.

Also you could consider having multiple exports in progress at the same time, say a max of 400 files in each.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Internal 2GB SSD. 

Brand new high end computer. 😕 

Shouldn't be having these issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Shannon, Quote "Internal 2GB SSD."

Is this accurate? Is it 2 TB SSD?   (terra bites)

If that is the only drive,  make sure the available free disk space is not below 30% when it goes less than that you will experience a slowdown in performance.

It is my experience that export takes about 3 to 4 seconds per image so you should expect the volume of raw files you stated to take 59 plus minutes.

Export of raw files includes, render raw data, apply presets etc, basic edits, noise reduction, sharpening, other fancy stuff, etc. Write the newly created file to disk and validate. It's just not a copy process from one folded on your SSD to another folder. 

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bahahaha,  yes, sorry been a long day!!!

No, I have 4 drives. 

Yeah, i can see the size and amounts of edits causing extra processing time. 

I will call this closed for now. I just wanted to raise it if it's a defect on 9.2...as I figured 9.1 seemed to have better performance.  

All my timelapses have now been processed and I'm moving into premiere pro to put 51 timelapses into 1. Wish me luck 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just completed a test export under the following conditions:

1000 75MB .nef originals from 36MP Nikon D810

Export files 8200 pixels on long side, 60% quality, average 5MB ,jpgs

Export time 36 minutes.

Rig: LR CL 9.2, Win 10 PC, I7 8700K, 64GB ram.

Source and destination drive 8TB 7200 HD.

I also exported one image same conditions, but 100% quality. That one is 32MB.

I don't have time to run the same test over with 100% quality, but that would clearly add a great deal of time to the export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thanks! 

Did it run at 100% cpu? 

I'm curious with 9.1 what it would be. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It ran at 100% about 2/3 of the time. Dipping to 40-50% the rest of the time.

I have no way to test it in 9.1

What quality level are you using for exports? I'm assuming you are creating .jpgs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines