Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crashing and two catalogs - confusing

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2020 6 1 Adobe Lightroom Upgrade Issues

I just upgraded to Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Lightroom Classic 9 and Adobe Photoshop 2020 subscription from Adobe Lightroom CC6 and Adobe Photoshop 5.  I am using Windows 10 up-to-date with all the upgrades. 

One major issue revolves around the resulting multiple catalogs that appear in Windows Explorer.  In looking at my Picture directory, which I have always used as my master repository for virtually all my pictures, I have found that I have two and maybe even three different catalogs that look very similar.  Both, dealing with only two at this point, are separate sub-directories in my Picture directory.  One is called "2019 10 15 Catalog" and the other is called "Lightroom."  Both have 2 subdirectories that look very similar. 

The "2019 10 15 Catalog" subdirectory has a subdirectory "2019 10 15 Catalog -2 Helper.lrdata" and "2019 10 15 Catalog -2 Previews.lrdata.

The other called "Lightroom" has subdirectories called "Lightroom Catalog -2 Helper.lrdata and "Lightroom Catalog -2 Previews.lrdata.

Both of the "Previews" subdirectories have many subdirectories labeled "0" through "F."  In addition, looking at the dates of the files just confuse the issue, because none of them are consistent 2020 dates.

My biggest question, and Lightroom's also, is: What is the real current Lightroom catalog? and which one can I get rid of to simplify my directories and directory size?

Second question is: Should/can I start a new catalog that makes sense without losing all the adjustment data associated with each of the 56,000 picture files that I have accumulated?

Then I am also experiencing crashes that require me to restart the computer after putting in a "crash report" - Will they contact me because of the "crash reports"??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you  update  Lightroom there is a tick box allowing Lightroom  to remove your old catalog. When that is not checked your old catalog remains on your drive and needs to be deleted manually once you are satisfied that the updated catalog is as expected.

Do you have a catalog with  a -2.lrcat file name? Lightroom adds  the -2 to the file name during the  update. You mentioned a -2.previews file not a -2.lrcat file. If you do have a -2.lrcat file open  that catalog and check to see if the contents are as expected. If it is you can  remove the older catalogs. It  looks like  you've opened a backup at some point by the name of the directory you mentioned. Backups should be stored an  external drive as a side note.

Also check to see that you have 'Write changes to XMP files' in  your catalog settings. With that checked your changes (adjustment data, etc.) will be stored in those  sidecar files and if  you choose to start with a new catalog you will see the changes, edits, history of the images that you have worked with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not notice the tick box. Thanks. I created a new catalog using the old one and manually deleted the old one. Too soon to tell if all the issues are resolved but looks good for now. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"My biggest question, and Lightroom's also, is: What is the real current Lightroom catalog?"

When you launch Lightroom Classic, the name of the catalog being used is always shown at the top of the Lightroom Classic window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When you  update  Lightroom there is a tick box allowing Lightroom  to remove your old catalog."

I have to disagree. I don't think such a thing exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There absolutely is–under Advanced Options.

lr-cc-dontremove.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There absolutely is–

Yes, when you undate the program Lightroom-Classic (from 'old' CC versions), you may see this dialog, but that is to remove old versions of the program.

The Lightroom CATALOG is never removed. The 'old' catalog has a copy made and the copy is updated to work with the new program version. And by default when a Catalog is updated it has suffix '-2' appended to the filename of the catalog. This is often a cause of confusion when an 'old' catalog is repeatedly opened (maybe from a Shortcut) and the 'new' catalog goes untouched.

Holding down the [Ctrl/Opt] key as Lightroom-Classic is starting will give a dialog of all the available Catalogs that Lr knows about- where you can choose which Catalog to open.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines