Highlighted

Create new profile from a preset that's using another profile

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been converting my most used presets to profiles. Everything works for my presets using Adobe Standard and Lightroom standard profiles, but I've used a few VSCO profiles in two of them. The problem is somehow, some of my created profiles through Camera Raw need those old profiles to work, they aren't embedded into the new profiles.

Some of the xmp files I save are around 20kb while others are 250kb. Obviously, the biggest ones have a lot of text inside, I guess it's caused by embedding the necessary info from the old profile inside the new one.

What bothers me is that it happens randomly and I can't control when it happens, so I can convert some of them while others require the old profile to be installed.

Any help, please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Create new profile from a preset that's using another profile

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been converting my most used presets to profiles. Everything works for my presets using Adobe Standard and Lightroom standard profiles, but I've used a few VSCO profiles in two of them. The problem is somehow, some of my created profiles through Camera Raw need those old profiles to work, they aren't embedded into the new profiles.

Some of the xmp files I save are around 20kb while others are 250kb. Obviously, the biggest ones have a lot of text inside, I guess it's caused by embedding the necessary info from the old profile inside the new one.

What bothers me is that it happens randomly and I can't control when it happens, so I can convert some of them while others require the old profile to be installed.

Any help, please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser to see the images.]

The gory details:

There are two kinds of profiles, camera profiles (stored as binary .dcp files) and creative profiles (stored as text .xmp files).  A camera profile is specific to each camera and is the result of shooting a test chart and measuring what's recorded in the raw files, along with additional settings added by the Adobe utility DNG Profile Editor. A creative profile is what you've been making in Camera Raw:

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 10.16.43 AM.png

A creative profile optionally contains a reference to a camera profile (Adobe Standard in the example above), various Develop settings (e.g. Exposure and Contrast), a Look Table (a color lookup table that modifies the colors of the camera profile), and a Color Lookup Table (another color lookup table that modifes the colors of the camera profile). 

Adobe Standard and the VSCO profiles are camera profiles (stored in .dcp files). When you include a camera profile in a creative profile by checking the Camera Profile box (see above), the name of the camera profile is placed in the creative profile's .xmp file. 

Adobe Color is a creative profile that includes camera profile Adobe Standard and a Look Table (also called Adobe Color).  When you make a new creative profile based on Adobe Color (as above), the name of the camera profile Adobe Standard is placed in the .xmp file, but the Adobe Color Look Table is copied into the profile. The look table is about 100K bytes.

Any creative profile that includes a camera profile needs to have the camera profile installed, since only the name of the camera profile is recorded in the creative profile's .xmp file.  That's why if you make a creative profile that includes a VSCO profile, you need the VSCO profile installed. (Adobe Standard is, of course, always present in any LR installation.)

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response, John! It's been a helpful answer to my doubt.

Now that I know there's two different kinds of profiles, it all makes sense. That's also the reason my creative profiles that were using camera profiles worked on Canon but not Fuji files, as camera profiles are camera specific.

Thanks again!!

Stay safe!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines