• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create Saved Print

Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a collection of images in LR Classic that are print candidates. When I pick one for printing I do a Printing Proof in the Develop module and save the proof as a copy. I then take that proof into the print module set up the paper size etc and save that as  'Saved Print' inside my original collection. So far so good.

When I do the next one and save it that one also gets saved into the first print job as well even though the parameters are different - same printer but different page size, layout etc.

Subsequently every print I save gets saved into all the previous jobs. This is not useful and I am sure can't be the intended behaviour.

I want to be able to go back and re-print an image with exactly the same parameters. Bear in mind I am not just printing standard size paper but am also cutting custom sizes from a roll.

LR Classic 10.3

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)

Big Sur 11.4

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soft-Proof Images mostly used to evaluate photos

see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/develop-module-options.html

You can make changes based on that, those changes apply to that image, not to a proof setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @GoldingD suggested, printing from Soft Proof Copies may not be a best practice.

That being said, you issue intrigued me so I decided to try it. I created a simple Collection with 3 photos in it.

I was able to reproduce your results where each subsequent Create Saved Print was added to the previous.

DS256_0-1625442522306.png

I then repeated the test but instead of creating a Saved Print of the Soft Proof, I created it from the original photo. Same results however, the duplicates that were added were not the original picture selected for the Save Print but it's Soft Proof Virtual copy even though the Soft Proof was not selected for printing.

I deleted all the virtual copies (from the Folder and not just the collection). 

I then selected each photo in the collection (no Proof Copy), went to Print and Created as Save Print. I got what we was expected.

DS256_1-1625443023341.png

I was not able to find any Adobe help on 'Created Saved Print' but there definitely seems to be an issue with if and a Saved Proof Copy of a photo.

So, as mentioned, it is likely not best practice to print from the Proof Copy.

If you want to dig into this more, you likely need to contact Adobe Tech Support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any issue with printing from a proof copy. In fact Step 3 in the referred document says ...

"To edit your photo to bring it within a desired color space, click Create Proof Copy. Lightroom Classic creates a virtual copy that you can adjust to print as you desire. Then, make your adjustments."

I certainly don't want to go making changes to the original that I use for other purposes such as web or social media that I then have to go back and undo. I want a "print" copy that I can reprint whenever needed. This seems to be the purpose of a proof copy.

I have tried adding the original to a print job and you are correct in that it does not get added to the other jobs. However I often need to adjust sharpness, mid-tone contrast or tone to suit printing and I don't want to do that to the original.

This definitely appears to be. LR bug, I have posted my original comments in the Adobe Community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see your point and it makes perfect sense. It looks like Adobe may not have followed the use of Proof Copies through to them being used a Saved Print Copies. This also raises the potential conflict between Print settings versus development settings in the Proof Copy such as changing the printer profile.

Please post what you hear back from Adobe. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so Print proof copies are "virtual files",

Quote " “Create Proof Copy”, Lightroom automatically creates a virtual copy allowing you to preserve your previous settings (in the master file), and create a new rendition (or version) tailored to the specific soft proofing options that you choose."'

They assist with you in setting up your printing processes. They are not actual image files, LrC still needs to have access to the original file during the print process.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Denis, with all due respect to your LrC knowledge, I don't understand your statement "They assist with you in setting up your printing processes. They are not actual image files, LrC still needs to have access to the original file during the print process." I thought the VC always had access to the original file.

As a test, I selected a photo (not in a collection)

1. Created a Soft Proof in Develop
  2. While it was selected, when to Print
  3. Changed the Photo Info to Copy Name to ensure I was printing the correct image
  4. Printed the Soft Proof to file (it worked since it was a VC of a photo)
  5. Create a Saved Print Copy
  6. Went to Library and found the Saved Print Copy in Collection

What am I missing? I thought VC's were treated as images for most things including printing.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it normally would, it is possible the the original could be on an external drive that is not connected. The point is the original will be used when rendering the print data to be sent to the printer.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The point is the original will be used when rendering the print data to be sent to the printer." True, but also based on any settings in the Soft Proof  VC. Just proved this by setting the WB and TINT way off to know I was printing via the VC and not the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is all correct. When you select the VC,  LrC will rerender the original file and apply all your chosen settings from the VC and send the data to the printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines