• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a folder which will mirror a Collection

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My project: Create a folder (which will be used in a slideshow for a photo frame) which shows the photos in chronological order.  In this particular instance I am actually creating 5 folders because the device I'm using will only allow 1000 images in a folder, and I want a total of 5000 images in the slideshow.  I know I can create 5 collections in LRC and add the photos (based on creation date) to the appropriate collections.

What I want to know is if there is an easy way to copy to corresponding files to the 5 folders I have created, based on the images in the collections?  At this point, the only way I know is to use the collections to identify the appropriate files, then to move the files - one by one - into the corresponding folders.  Does LRC have any functionality which will allow you to create a folder that mimics a collection?  Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you want to do this? Just use 5 collections and export your files from there into separate folders and copy trhose onto your device. No need to put them into folders inside Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao has you pointed in the right direction.

Folders are where the images permanently reside on your hard drive. Organizing by date seems to work best for most people. Do it once and leave them there. Any other associations are best left to keywords and collections.

In your case, creating collections to represent your output folders is the good answer. Then just export each collection into the desired folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your replies.  Ultimately I will implement your suggestions.  As for the "base" organization of my collection - if it was only me using them, that's exactly what I'd do (lump them all into one folder and organize simply by LRC collection).  Unfortunately that's not an option.  I only have LRC on my computer and it's already killing me that I have to give Adobe $10 a month to use it.  I'm retired on a fixed income, I'm not a professional photographer, just an ordinary user with over 39,000 photos to manage (yeah, I like to take pictures and the advent of digital means I have no natural contraints).

But my wife will frequently want to view certain photos and 1) I'm not about to pay for a second license, and 2) having her come to my computer every time she want to look at photos isn't practical (our whole uses desktop computers, not laptops).  When she wants to find pictures she'll typically ask something like: "Where are the pictures from the boys' 2nd birthday?", or "Where are pictures from last Halloween?".  Things like that.  So I have no choice but to organize them on disk in an easily findable manner.

Thanks again for your suggestions.  I didn't know you could create on-disk folders simply by exporting collections.  This will make things much easier for me.  Now I only face the "simple" task of assigning about 15,000 missing or incorrect creation dates, ONE AT A TIME, so that I can sort them chronologically.  Good thing I have a lot free time on my hands right now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The suggestion from @Jao vdL does not require a second license, and will work even if you let your current subscription end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, thanks, I understand that.  And that's what I said I'm going to do.  I was simply explaining why I don't just organize the whole lot by date, in one place, as ManicJoe suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Viewing edits inside vs outside of Lightroom is the catch. To see the edits outside of LR, you need to export the images to a new file, JPG or otherwise. The fun part about the export folders is that it they can be organized differently than the folders of the original images.

Since my final outputs end up on Smugmug.com for both family and the public, my temporary export folders are next to the original images folders. However, if I was outputing edits for local viewing, I would create a network-shared folder/drive that was organized best for the viewers, which may or may not resemble how the images are organized in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm.  This is intruiging.  So if I understand correctly:  I keep all originals in one big, lumped-together folder - for my use only.  Then I create collections via LRC for whatever reasons (my photoframe, my wife's viewing, etc.).  Then I export those collections to folders organized for my wife's optimal viewing?  That could work.  Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure anyone here (or anywhere else) has suggested one huge folder with all of your photos. One parent folder with many subfolders is a good idea but not one huge folder with all of your photos.

Very large folders will result in slowdowns, this is the operating system causing it, it has to do more work to find files or display files in folders with huge number of files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You don't need to organize the images in Lightroom in any way. Just organize them so they make sense to you. Then use collections and export to generate folders of images in a different location that is optimized for your wife's viewing but don't have her access the structure you use for Lightroom - just set aside another area for her. The added advantage of this is that you can put the same image in multiple collections and therefore exported folders without having to duplicate them inside Lightroom. So you could have images of a person in their own exported folder but also have the same image show up in the halloween images for example so there will be multiple places you can find the same picture this way.

A bonus way of doing this is to set up a Hard Drive publish service. You can do put smart collections in there (e.g. all images with keyword "Billy") that automatically update the exported folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines