• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating smart collections based on identified people - is it possible?

Participant ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm trying to get into keywords more. I've only ever scuffed over the surface of what they can do until now. The answer to my question may lie in that aspect. But I don't think it does.

Imagine you go on a trip with John and Jane Doe. You tag all images in the trip with "John Doe" and "Jane Doe" regardless of if they are in the photo or not. Many will just be scenes that you've taken without people in at all but you know they were on the trip with you so you've tagged them anyway.

You use the People view to identify all the people in the photos. John will get named in some, Jane will get named in others. The two of them together in yet more.

Is it possible (and if so how) to create four smart collections (smart so that the next trip with them the new photos get added there too):
1) Photos of John Doe

2) Photos of Jane Doe

3) Photos of John and Jane Doe

4) Phtos with neither John nor Jane Doe

Essentially I've gone through identifying my parents and children in all of my images and I'd like to create collections of them but when we've been on holiday those holidays have anyone involved tagged on each image.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is possible, but it requires a trick because Lightroom looks at individual words, not keyword phrases. You can force Lightroom to look at phrases by using 'Starts with'. So instead of using 'contains' or 'contains all', use 'starts with john doe', and 'starts with jane doe'. Smart collections 1 and 2 only need to have this one line. Smart collection 3 needs both lines, and smart collection 4 needs two 'does not start with' lines.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan, I'm not sure how this item has been marked as the "correct answer" as it doesn't appear to be.

I've tried that. Changing from "contains all" to "starts with" makes no difference. It still looks at the keywords rather than the people identified with "draw face region".

What I really want is for it to ingore the "keywords" and only use the people identified by "draw face region" - which end up as keywords. I can't work out how one can create a smart collection based on the identified people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Are you saying that you have 'John Doe' and 'Jane Doe' as normal keyword as well but don't want to find these images? I don't think that is possible. Identified people are keywords too, Lightroom does not distinguish between them. If that is not what you mean, then please explain in more detail what it is you are trying to do and what does (not) happen. Embed (do not attach) screenshots of your smart collections if needed.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines