Exit

creating the correct size/resolution for print

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys. 

I have run into some printing issues.

I have send my images to a print lab. The person who is doing the printing job told me that the way to get the correct image size/resolution is to export your raw file from lightroom in the wanted measurements to a specific folder on your computer then upload into photoshop. By using this method you have the correct size/resulotion from the beginning of your editing work. 

I have edited all my raw images in lightroom then created a smart object into photoshop finished my editing + created the size of you images that I want to print it then back to lightroom.

Is there any different in quality when creating an image size you want from this method when printing? 

It's a bit difficult to explain, I do hope it make sence.

Thank you for your help!!

Best Casper

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's just me, but I seldom find a need to go to Photoshop to do much editing anymore. However, if I were to do that and then send the image to a lab to be printed for instance as an 8 x 10" print, this is what I wwould do.

1. Perform initial editing in Lightroom, performing as much editing as I can.

2. Choose the option to edit the full-sized image in Photoshop to perform what is needed.

3. When that image is returned to Lightroom I would Then crop it to 2400 x 3000 pixels To ensure the image would be printed at 300 PPI. That is the image I will send to the lab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“The person who is doing the printing job told me that the way to get the correct image size/resolution is to export your raw file from lightroom in the wanted measurements to a specific folder on your computer then upload into photoshop.”

Utter nonsense. Lightroom Classic has every tool needed to get the correct image size and resolution.

You haven't told us what size you are printing the image, so we can't be more specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dj_paige.

Thanks for your reply. really appreciate it!

I want to make a print 100x70 cm. 

The whole issues is I have finished all my edit whitout considering printing qualities. The way I edit is that i'm going back & forth between Lrc & PS. He says that I might have lost information by using the shortcut open a image in smart object in PS. When I start editing a photo I don't think about what size i want the image.  

All I need to clairfy is that if I can use the open an image as a smart object in PS without loosing any quality? do you know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Again, Lightroom Classic provides all of the tools you need here for getting the right image size.

First you crop the image to a 10x7 aspect ratio using Lightroom Classic's Crop tool. Then you export and request the proper size and resolution. If you don't want 240 ppi, you want some other number, type it in. Make sure "Don't Enlarge" is unchecked. (You could also change pixels per inch to pixels per cm and then adjust the resolution accordingly)

2020-11-23 13_38_03-Export One File.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines