• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creative Cloud/Lightroom broken after update, only solutions Adobe offers are 6 years old

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried updating Lightroom, via Creative Cloud app, which asked to be updated first. Received no error messages, so tried to start up Creative Cloud and it fails to run. Tried starting Lightroom, and it fails to run. Both give the these errors:

The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

Followed by:

The code execution cannot proceed because VCRUNTIME140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

Followed by:

The same two error messages again.

Tried re-installing Creative Cloud app from a fresh download, it seemed to proceed as normal, but the errors and failure to run persist.

Tried searching Adobe help online and found no matches, except six year old articles that are not applicable due to folders/files mentioned in the solution not existing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Seems to be fixed, now. I found another help request on Adobe (can't find the link, because it is not recorded in my browser history for some unknown reason, but it was dated May 2019 and was answering what to do if Lightroom does not start with no error messages). It said to:

1. Uninstall Visual C++ 2005, 2008, and 2010. Did that (all 15 of them).

2. Reinstall all of those. Did not do that, because 2005 and 2008 no longer exist, and 2010 required some developer login.

3. REPAIR the 2012, 2013, an

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, the problem persists.

I used your link to find and run the SFC program, and it said it repaired some things. Rebooted, and it still won't work. Clicked the link to update the Visual C++ 2015 files, but the link actually leads to the 2010 version, so that seems a little off. I found the 2015 versions, installed them instead, rebooted and I still get the same error messages.

Just to be clear, this was all working the last time I used it on Thursday, and today it was working as well and there have been no Windows updates (or updates of any kind). I was in Lightroom when I decided I should check for an update, so I started Creative Cloud, which also worked fine... until I ran the update. Now it's totally busticated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless, this is a Windows file that is missing, and the solution will come via repairing Windows somehow. This was not caused by the Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be a Windows issue, but it was 99% caused by the Adobe Creative Cloud update. What ever it did to my system, it seems to be trashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact version of Lightroom had you been running before you performed the update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really know, but no more than 3 months old. I don't pay much attention to version numbers since I was forced into the new "pay us non-stop" model, and I am always slightly nervous about updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, uninstall the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App, per instructions and toll in link below. Then you will download a fresh new copy, and install it. Keep an eye out for errors. If an issue occurs, do not move on till resolved.

Note, you are just uninstalling then reinstalling this one little free app, not any of the post processing software.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/desktop-app.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I did not realize it had to be uninstalled with a special program. Sadly, after uninstalling and re-installing, I have the exact same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop is up and running. And you are signed into it. And if you are going for the subscription model of Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, Lightroom (Cloudy, if desired), etc. Then use the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App to do so. One application at a time, watch fir errors.

Note, if the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App indicates a application is already installed, try it out, if it fails, you can try to uninstall via Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App, but you might need to uninstall thru Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now if you are trying to install pre subscription, non subscription v6, that might be a different issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seems to be fixed, now. I found another help request on Adobe (can't find the link, because it is not recorded in my browser history for some unknown reason, but it was dated May 2019 and was answering what to do if Lightroom does not start with no error messages). It said to:

1. Uninstall Visual C++ 2005, 2008, and 2010. Did that (all 15 of them).

2. Reinstall all of those. Did not do that, because 2005 and 2008 no longer exist, and 2010 required some developer login.

3. REPAIR the 2012, 2013, and 2015 versions. Did that, except there is no 2015 version, since it is now called 2015-2019version.

Rebooted. Everything works again. Yay!

It is possible that some old software on my computer may not function due to the early vesions of Visual C++ being uninstalled, but who knows. Now, Creative Cloud says there is still an update but I am very wary of doing it...

Thanks to everyone who helped, I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines