• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crop closest to known pixel size output—How?

Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upload a lot of photos regularly to a website that has a maximum size of 2048 pixels for a photo.

I'd like to crop photos so they fix exactly and I want to be able to crop to the smallest size possible.

To illustrate: I have a pro level photo of a bird: very sharp but the bird was far away. I want the final jpg to be zoomed in to crop out everything but the bird—without making the photo smaller than 2048 pixels. Original photo size is 6000-some pixels wide, so I have leeway. And I want viewers on the website to see the bird very close up without zooming past 100% size to avoid noise and pixelation. Is there a way I can do this with the normal Lightroom publishing procedure? I already have that set to 2048 pixels wide. And I'd like to avoid having to go into Photoshop with so many photos.

If anyone has suggestions, please reply.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

You could manually ensure your crop boundary includes around 2048 original pixels wide / high.

The way to know that, is to turn on the Info overlay and configure that to show current cropped pixels. Or (more laborious) to watch the cropped pixels in the Metadata panel.

These numbers change each tme you update the crop. You won't see a continuously changing number while dragging the crop handles around, but you will see the change when you release the mouse button. So there's some trial-and-error

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

The Any Crop plugin shows you the pixel dimensions of the crop in real time as you change it. It also lets you create presets to crop at a fixed pixel size.  It's a powertool and takes a bit to learn.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless the subject matter is positioned roughly the same for each shot (which I would find unlikely) your somewhat stuck here.

LRC does not have pixel-level cropping you can set manually.

It works on a format / ratio principle in the Crop Tool.

Can you group photos by attribute or Collection and have the appropriate setting crop applied to each of those sets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could manually ensure your crop boundary includes around 2048 original pixels wide / high.

The way to know that, is to turn on the Info overlay and configure that to show current cropped pixels. Or (more laborious) to watch the cropped pixels in the Metadata panel.

These numbers change each tme you update the crop. You won't see a continuously changing number while dragging the crop handles around, but you will see the change when you release the mouse button. So there's some trial-and-error.

Once you have made a crop window with the desired number of pixels inside, this Crop can be Synced to another image (provided it's taken with the same original overall resolution) and you can then move / rotate the cropping to suit that photo, without altering the crop's pixel dimensions.

Then when you export, you can either:

• turn off Resizing altogether - and output 'actual pixels' as seen at 100% zoom in LrC. 
  • resize to 2048 pixels exactly, knowing there will be very little change to the image detail from doing that - the magnification / reduction being so slight.

You can set a "don't enlarge" option if you do resize. Then only when the photo exceeds your stated pixel dimension, will any resizing happen. Otherwise it will be output as 'actual pixels', accepting that this may then naturally fall short of your chosen pixel dimension, depending on exactly how you have cropped the image..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! I will try this for now. I hadn't noticed the pixel size option in the info overlay.

If this gets tedious, I'll try the plugin. I appreciate the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Any Crop plugin shows you the pixel dimensions of the crop in real time as you change it. It also lets you create presets to crop at a fixed pixel size.  It's a powertool and takes a bit to learn.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for this option!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines