Highlighted

crop lost when editing in photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have this problem with Lightroom Classic and Photoshop.

If I have a PSD file in a Lightroom Classic catalog that has a crop applied (in LR) and I click the "Edit in Photoshop", when I go back to LR the crop is often lost.

What can I do? I'm using the newest versions of both.

thank you!

Topics

Bug, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

crop lost when editing in photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have this problem with Lightroom Classic and Photoshop.

If I have a PSD file in a Lightroom Classic catalog that has a crop applied (in LR) and I click the "Edit in Photoshop", when I go back to LR the crop is often lost.

What can I do? I'm using the newest versions of both.

thank you!

Topics

Bug, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Edit in Photoshop works differently with rendered files (Tiff, PSD, jpg) than with raw files.

When sending a raw file to PS, it is first opened silently in Camera Raw, where the adjustments from LR are applied.

When sending a rendered file to PS, you will get this dialog:

LR-edit-photoshop.png

Since Photoshop cannot read LR adjustments in rendered files,  you are given three options:

• Edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments.
    This creates a new file, including LR edits,  and it will appear next to the original when it returns from PS.
    This option is in principle the same thing as doing an export, opening the exported file in PS, then importing it in LR after saving in PS.
  • Edit a copy
    Same as the previous option, but edits from LR are not included,
  • Edit original
    This will open the original file in PS, but LR edits will not be visible.
    When the file returns to LR, you will again see the LR edits.
    So if you send a PSD that has been cropped in LR to PS, the image will open without the crop in PS.
    When it returns from PS, the crop will be visible again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Per!

mine seems to work differently from this

Edit original
This will open the original file in PS, but LR edits will not be visible.
When the file returns to LR, you will again see the LR edits.
So if you send a PSD that has been cropped in LR to PS, the image will open without the crop in PS.
When it returns from PS, the crop will be visible again.

When my file returns to LR, I can see again most of the LR edits BUT often the crop is reset.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have already sent a file to Ps from LrC and saved it in Ps which creates a PSD file and that PSD shows up back in LrC and then you Crop that PSD in LrC. You then send that PSD back to Ps with the Edit In > Ps feature and the crop you did on the PSD is now gone when looking at the same PSD file in LrC?

Normally when you are sending a PSD file, Editing In > Ps, back to Ps from LrC you get a dialog window asking 3 questions, Options, on what you want to do. Edit a Copy WITH Lr Adjustments, Edit a Copy and Edit Original. The only option that will preserve the LrC crop made to that PSD will be the first one, Edit a Copy "WITH" Lr Adjustment.

Which option are you selecting? It is important to Read what each option does that is listed just under those options.

2020-07-28 06_02_03-LR Classic V9 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.png

The onther 2 options will remove the LrC crop that was applied to the PSD file as stated in the text just under those other 2 options.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!

I always choose "Edit Original" because I prefer to keep the whole file so can I later crop it differently if I change my mind.

Please let me explain better the problem I see:

I have a PSD in my LR catalog (with LR non-destructive crop).

If I "Edit in Photoshop" (without applying the crop, so "Edit Original") what I expect to happen is that I can edit the uncropped photo in Photoshop, but when I save and go back to the LR catalog I should still have the non-destructive crop active.

The problem is that when I'm back in LR the crop is somehow "forgotten" unless I click on the last status in History, usually "Export-Hard Drive" that brings the crop back.

thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe both replies -although correct by themselves- probably do not answer your question. If the crop is lost on return in Lightroom, then only the second choice in this dialog would explain that. But most people either choose the first option (in wich case the crop should be 'baked into' the copy) or the third option (in which case the crop should still be there when the image returns).

There are reports that sometimes Lightroom edits are reset when you send the image to Photoshop, using 'Edit Original'. Check the History. That should show this (and should be an easy way to correct it).

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that is the problem.

I can solve this usually clicking the last status in History, but it is an annoying bug for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines