• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crop Tool Lag on Second Display with new 16-inch MacBook Pro

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just set up a new laptop (a BTO 16-inch MacBook pro with maxed out RAM, GPU, and processor options), and I'm experiencing a very unusual lag while cropping images. I'm using an external monitor as my primary display and the laptop as the secondary one.

The lag is only on the secondary display. My usual approach to cropping an image is to do the cropping on the main display where the grid overlay is visible and then to glance over at the secondary display to see the results. It has always worked out that the changes made on the primary display are imediately visible on the secondary one as soon as I set a new crop. But now the secondary display is always one crop behind whatever I do. So the secondary display is always showing something different than the primary one, always the previous crop adjustment, not the crop as it currently stands.

And for what it's worth, I get the same performance when I reverse the displays and have the external monitor set to be the secondary one.

EDIT: I've just tried it with a much older Mac and am getting the same behavior on the secondary display.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The secondary display in Develop mode is done from a jpeg preview and not the same way as the primary display. You will always see lag doing this that will take about as long as generating an almost full size preview image because the resolution of the screen is quite high. It can take many seconds to do that update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm almost certain that it didn't always have this cropping lag, though. All other edits show up immediately, but not cropping edits. With the crop tool, I can wait for minutes and not see the secondary display update, but the second that I make a new crop, it instantly shows me the previous crop (not the current crop).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should take 1 or 2 seconds each time normally. If it is longer there is a problem indeed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely not normal. If I make a crop, there is no change on the secondary display no matter how long I wait while the crop tool is still active.

This is what happens:

1) I choose the crop tool and move one or more of the handles to crop the photo. There will be no change on the secondary display, no matter how long I wait. Let's call this Crop #1.

2) I move a handle for a different crop. I move one of the crop handles a second time, then the other display instantly updates to the *previous* crop, Crop #1. But now I'm on Crop #2.

3) I move a handle a third time. This is now Crop #3. The secondary display instantly updates to show Crop #2, not this current crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar with Windows 10.  Secondary display doesnt update until mouse release in primary display.  Never saw this before November update.  Previously secondary display updated in near real-time with very short lag.  Very annoying.  I consider this a bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After resetting my preferences completely, the bug is now gone, and the crop tool behaves normally again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a little confused. Could you be a little more specific? I have 8
pages of preferences and it's not obvious which need to be reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I reset preferences but it made no difference (and now I've got
to restore all my preferred preferences!). I guess it was worth a try
but something else is going on. Since the whole LR world doesn't seem
to be screaming about this, I suspect the problem must relate to
something specific about my setup. So for what it is worth here's my
setup:

Dell xps 8930: Windows 10, intel i7-8700K, 32G, graphics card nvidia
geforce gtx 1070 8G (which LR reports as fully supporting hardware
acceleration).

LR release is 9.0, camera raw 12.0.

Primary monitor is 1920x1200 (hp lp2475w), secondary is 4K (3840x2160
dell pq2715q). Both are driven off the same above described graphics
card.

All this is a pretty conventional and adequate configuration.

The problem is very odd. When I rotate or crop in the dual monitor
setup the action on the primary monitor is reflected on the secondary
monitor for at most a tenth of a second and then freezes; when the
mouse button is released the second monitor then updates virtually
instantly and correctly.

Disabling hardware acceleration made no difference.

Never saw anything like this until the upgrade to 9.0 in late November.

Couple of other interesting observations with rotate and crop
operations:
When I first noticed this, immediately after updating to 12.0, I was
processing compressed DNG images, 24Mpix image size. When I tried
reproducing the problem with some (much smaller) jpegs I sometimes got
an opposite result, where the secondary monitor updated ahead of the
primary. Both felt laggy and jerky and the jpegs were less smooth than
when working with the DNGs, which makes no sense since they were
smaller, 5-8 mpix in size.
Anyhow I mention all this in the (unlikely?) event that it might be
useful to somebody. The problem is not the end of the world: LR works
adequately despite it but it sure smells like a bug and is definitely a
step backwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice if Adobe could tell us what is wrong in the preference file so it could be edited manually.  It's a joke that every time a bug pops up the answer is to reset the preference file and start all over again.  I reset my preference file and it fixed the issue on Windows 10, I went back to my old preference file as I don't have time to reconfigure LR all over again. I wish they would fix this in an update, but doubt they will.    How about fix the preferences so bugs like this do not pop up all of the time.

Another thread with other users with the same issue:  https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/refreshing-crop-view-on-secondary-display

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem. It started when I updated to 9.2 so I went back to 9.1. It worked for a while. Now it's occurring in 9.1. Very annoying!

Win 10 Pro GTX 1080

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After spending time with level 1 support and not resolving the issue and no desire to reset my preference file YET AGAIN, I narrowed down the offending line in my preference file and I believe I now have it fixed.  At least until it breaks again. 🙂

I just gave this information to a level 2 support rep.  If they can reproduce it, or if it is a known issue we may see a fix in an upcoming release.  This line item was one of many lines that were different in a "clean" preference file in comparison to my "bad" preference file.  

I feel Adobe should have a tool to fix preference files instead of asking you to reset all of the time.

1. You should backup your preference file Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.agprefs
  2. Find this line AgDevelop_navigatorPanel_ExpansionState = 1,
  3. My bad preferences had a = 0, I changed this to 1 and now my crop tool is working

I have had this setting as 1 for 7 days and it continues to work.  I only have one machine, so I can't verify it works in other places.  It may only fix my machine and there may be another issue for you, hopefully this fixes your LR install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

same problem here. Lightroom Classic 9.3

MacOS Catalina.

Resetting preferences did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines