• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cropping in Develop: Image Disappears and reads "No photo selected."

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I know WHY this happens, but I need to figure out how to achieve the goal.

I want to crop a landscape section of a portrait image to create a landscape version of the image.  The fastest way to get to all Portrait images is to filter by aspect ratio in Library, then move to Develop and crop.

The problem is that the moment I crop the image to Lanscape, it no longer fits the filter criteria and is deselected AND cropped...often incorrectly on the first go...in fact, I don't know because I can't see it anymore.

How can I find all Portrait oriented images and crop them without this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

You can filter for portrait aspect, highlight those, add those to a new temporary Collection / add to Quick Collection in order to keep these separated out, even after you have turned off the aspect filter. Once finished, delete the temporary Collection / empty the Quick Collection.

One side option on this: you can choose when making a temporary Collection, to have the images added as newly created virtual copies. Those copies will then allow you to crop to landscape, while still also retaining

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can filter for portrait aspect, highlight those, add those to a new temporary Collection / add to Quick Collection in order to keep these separated out, even after you have turned off the aspect filter. Once finished, delete the temporary Collection / empty the Quick Collection.

One side option on this: you can choose when making a temporary Collection, to have the images added as newly created virtual copies. Those copies will then allow you to crop to landscape, while still also retaining the current portrait versions in the Catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an idiot.  This morning I thought, "why not just tag all of the portrait photos as Portrait, then filter by the tag instead."  Derp.  Sometimes the simplest answer is the hardest one to find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way of doing this: use a special marker for these images, such as the 'pick' flag. Then make a smart collection that searches for your aspect ratio or the pick flag. Before you start working on the images in that smart collection, select them all and add the pick flag. Don't forget to deselect afterwards. Now the images meet both criteria, so they won't disappear from the smart collection when you change the aspect ratio. When you are done changing the crop, you can make an image disappear from the smart collection by 'unflagging' it, so you still have the advantage of an auto-updating smart collection rather than a static one.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such a Smart Collection would have to separately specify (as an AND criterion, not an OR criterion) which particular folder, or which collection, or which other attribute these images have, that makes them part of this current task.

Otherwise those rules will find every image that's portrait format, or picked, or both, across the entire Catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

True, so "adjust to taste". The idea is that you only use the pick flag for these kind of things, so you shouldn't have any 'picked' images hanging around in your catalog. That's what I do, so this works great for me. If you do use the flag for other things already, then use something else (you can use a special keyword, but the advantage of a flag is that you can 'unflag' with a single keystroke). And if you don't want to see all portait images but just the ones in a particular folder or collection, then indeed you'll have to add that folder or collection as AND criterion.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines