• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ctrl + Shift + S opens "save as" dialog instead of sync settings

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using LrC, after hopping between develop mode and grid view a few times, ctrl+shift+s stops opening the sync develop settings dialog for me, and instead opens a "save as" dialog. 

LrC doesn't even have a "save as" option? This is what confuses me the most!

The only way to make this stop is restart the program.

Support tells me this is due to conflicting commands and I should reset preferences and/or uninstall + reinstall.

Has anyone else had this issue happen? How did you solve it?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That keyboard shortcut is for Photoshop. There is no "save as" command as such in Lightroom Classic. The only way to "save" an image in LrC is to export a copy. You must be trying to use that command in Photoshop, and not Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate you taking the time to read my post and reply, but unfortunately your reply does not help me in any way, as I stated in my explanation that LrC does not have a "save as" option. My issue is not confusion about which program I have open, evidenced by my detailed post about LrC. My issue is with the very specific error about a keyboard shortcut malfunctioning in LrC by opening a dialogue that doesn't even apply to the program -- an issue that I have already reached out to LrC support about. If you have any thoughts about the actual issue at hand, which has nothing to do with Photoshop, I would love to hear them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The keyboard shortcut for "save as" cannot malfunction in Lightroom because it doesn't exist. It isn't there. The only way it is possible to "save" an image from Lightroom is to export a copy. Again, the keyboard shortcut you are looking for isn't there in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't the title of the dialog give you a clue? Like you said, Lightroom doesn't have a 'Save as' command, but it does have an 'Export' command for exporting presets, for example.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not duplicate that. Ctrl + Shift + s does absolutely nothing in LrC.

So what you are experiencing is more than likely LrC has Lost Focus and that key combo is opening the Save As dialog windows for whatever program the focus has shifted to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me add that key combo only does something with multiple images selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I only use the keyboard shortcut for sync settings between images when I have more than one image selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a valid shortcut in Photoshop. The only thing I can think of is that this user is associating the shortcut with the wrong program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, again, I am completely aware of which programs I have open and which one I am using.

I would not have posted in the LrC forum if I was having problems with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I finally realized what was going on. You probably have missed one of my comments. Since that key combination isn't bringing up the appropriate command You probably missed the suggestion in one of my answers that perhaps you should consider resetting the preferences. That keystroke combination does work properly on my computer. I don't use keyboard shortcuts normally so I wasn't aware of that command. Sorry for the confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP knows that their is no save as in LrC. The OP stated that in fact. Issue for the OP is keyboard shortcut for Sync Settings (in Develop Module) is presenting the wrong dialog. A Save as Dialog.

Now, some possibilities

1. Accidentally not in LrC, perhaps this is a Windows OS save as, or a MS Word save as?

2. A corrupt preference file

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

3. Gremlins bribed with Tequila instead of Bourbon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally. A helpful answer. Thank you!!!

Again though, I am aware of which program I am in while using this keyboard shortcut.

I've attached a screenshot of what appears during this error. This is indeed a save as popup dialog inside of LrC. I am not making this up, I am not stupid, I am not oblivious.

131936689_209508447446292_235442058554713410_n.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That dialog window is From Lr (Lightroom the Cloud Based version) and not from LrC as far as I can tell. The icon in the upper left hand corner has square carners, only has the letters L and r (Lr) and does not say Save As like any other Save As dialog box.

Is it a bug? Could be. But from all the other posts and my tests it seems we can't reproduce it.

Do you have Lr installed and open too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom cloud is not installed, only Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why, but I have never really been a big fan of keyboard shortcuts. Consequently, I have never tried that keyboard shortcut in LrC. Haven't even thought about it in the past. However, having had attention brought to it, I just highlighted a couple of images and tried it on my Windows 10 computer and it brought up the synchronize dialog as it should. Only thing I can think of is if it isn't working properly on the OP's computer then perhaps that person needs to reset the preferences in LrC to see if that fixes the problem. I apologize for my not understanding the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a "Save as" dialog, it is a dialog to select something: a folder. That is what it says in the top of the dialog and that is what the default button says. It could be that the key combo was somehow assigned to the 'Update Folder Location' command.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Mac so cannot check. It is a Develop Module-specific keywords shortcut.

Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 6.56.16 AM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Denis on Windows that key combo also works if you are in the Library module and ou have multiple images selected. It brings up the Sync Settings dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Justshootme was just working with the Adobe Lightroom help. Good info to know thanks.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The amount of misunderstanding, incompetence and useless comments being posted in this thread is astounding.  

@bonnie.photo To the OP, yes, this is a known bug in LrC that's been around for years that Adobe has never fixed.  For clarification, the keyboard shortcut Shift + Ctrl + S is the "sync settings" that normally will sync the settings from one highlighted photo to another highlighted photo.  This is a very useful feature that I use all the time and that gets broken pretty regularly. This feature is SUPPOSED to work in the Develop module and the Library Module.  But sometimes it only works in the Library Module and sometimes it doesn't work at all.  And sometimes it runs an export function which is what you are experiencing in your original post.  The export function LrC decides to run randomly can be an automatic export (without a dialog prompt) or it can run another export function that prompts you to choose a folder to export to.  It all depends on the export function LrC decides to run.  BTW, the background ones (without the prompt) are seriously annoying because sometimes LrC will export a photo to a folder, but I won't notice it is running an export on the top left when I'm trying to sync settings.  And then randomly in some folder, there's a jpg that shouldn't be there and I have no way of finding it.

WORKAROUND: The workaround is to reboot LrC.  That's it.

After that, the keyboard shortcut should work as expected for a while until it breaks again.  I don't have a solution for preventing this bug in the first place or for recognizing instantly when this bug has cropped up again.  But after doing a ton of research in other threads, I've come to the conclusion that this is a serious bug that Adobe can't fix.  It's been around for many years and is still around in 2022 at the time of this writing.

I hope this helps.  If you find a fix, please post here so I can find it.  To Adobe, please fix this bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next time you react to a discussion, it may be an idea to check the date of the last message...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did.  What's your point?  This is still an active bug and no one, including you, in this thread added anything helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, thanks for proving my first point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I've experienced this same bug for years and years and years. And it's followed here to 2023 as I've just gotten it again. So yeah @bonnie.photo, you're absolutely correct. Same @Jon Hillenbrand. I'll just add my experience here in case anyone else happens upon this thread in the future.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro running Lightroom Classic 12.1 Build [202212072312-d7ab524b]. I probably first experienced the issue on Windows Vista and perhaps Lightroom 3, when it was the only Lightroom, pre-Classic days. I haven't done as much research into as you seem to have Jon, but I reached the same conclusion as you have: restarting is the only solution. Since that's not the worst thing, I often just restart Lightroom Classic or use the button in the right modules panel and keep working. Every so often I'll do a search to see if someone found a more permanent solution, which is how I've found my way here now.

The most common trigger I've found for the bug is setting my computer to Hibernate or Sleep while Lightroom Classic is open. After I wake my computer back up, I'll sometimes have issues with the Shift+Ctrl+S shortcut. It's not every time, but I have found it rarely happens without that sequence of events.

Based on my experience, what I see happening is that instead of syncing settings, it runs some kind of Export command, and it will choose one of my export presets, although which exact one it uses varies from instance to instance of the bug popping up. Bonnie, I imagine you're getting the Choose Folder dialogue because you have a preset that prompts you to choose where you want the files saved to; I get that sometimes. Otherwise, it will use another preset that already has a destination set, which is why you'll miss them sometimes, Jon, I suspect. I haven't done the necessary troubleshooting to figure out how or why it chooses a given preset, but I have my presets structured distinctly enough that I can identify that's what's happening with the aberrant behavior.

Hopefully it gets fixed at some point. It's a nuisance. Thanks for the detailed accounting, Jon. Sorry you had so much difficulty getting responders to believe you, Bonnie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines