• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: UI add Dark Mode or Interface Customization

Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dark mode in Windows would be very useful, I use it on my system and everything is very eye pleasing, but the LRC toolbar is still white which ends up being distracting when working on dark photos since the rest of the UI is dark. It makes no sense that the toolbar does not follow the OS system theme, or at least have a proper dark mode option in LRC settings somewhere?

Pic related,t hanks!

Screenshot 2022-09-23 224822.jpg

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
17 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to change the dark gray interface of Lightroom Classic? Especially for older people the dark color is terrible to work with. In Photoshop Elements it's possible to change the interface to a light color, but I can't find such a possibility in Lightroom Classic...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't, and I absolutely agree there should be. All "comfort"-considerations aside, the dark interface usually fools the eye into thinking the image is brighter than it is, and so the final result is too dark and muddy.

You can set the image backdrop to white, which helps - but this makes the whole interface an over-contrasty dizzying mess.

And what's with the black frame? Why is that a good idea?

Lr_gray.png

Lr_white.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found this to be a nuisance as well. It seems an interface that hopes to have people use it with Photoshop would provide an option of colors that help them rather than hinder them? The iMac Finder windows are white and much easier to see what one is looking for. On a separate monitor having white Finder Windows contrasting the dark Lightroom Classic windows makes it hard to compare ones storage intended files.  Using LRC color to mark files on the menu does help but it is disappointing that the same colors of the Indesign or Illustrator interfaces are no longer available on LRC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So disappointed.  For me it's about the dark theme of the app.  I cannot read the menu items at all unless it is nighttime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the best solution of all given the lack of other options in LrC. By setting the background to white in the Develop Module, you can easily see when the areas of an image that should be white are only a middle shade of gray. There are many sample of this sad situation on line, surf photos where the gray ocean foam should be nearly white, water falls that are coming out gray, etc. It does require a critical eye in evaluating your photos and a good understanding of the tonal scale, black to white.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, let's hope the improvements shown at Adobe Max on Tuesday address that!

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no option to change the interface color in version 12, so I request that a moderator changes this thread from discussion to feature request. I'd vote for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Rikk Flohr: Photography 

Could you also change the title to something like "Add option to change interface color" ?

The thread I originally posted in was a request for an option for a lighter interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Lightroom and trying to learn. I have used PSElements for about 15 years; I've used Photoshop from time to time, as well as Bridge and the Raw Editor. So, I'm not new to Adobe products. I need some visual help, so I always change the colors of the dark Workspace, Menus, etc. Specifically, the Photoshop "themes" is very helpful. In fact, I have ALWAYS been able to edit my preferences in Adobe graphic programs to suit my needs, until now.

Lightroom Classic 2022 cannot be adjusted adequately to allow me to do a simple thing like "read the screen/menus". I've been fumbling around with it for days, so not only is it not possible, it's an "undocumented feature".

To me this is bizzare. Adobe has the code to include in Lightroom Classic...why is it deemed not necessary for customers to be able to adjust the application for a visually beneficial experience. Adobe goes to great lengths to modify color in images, yet customers cannot adjust the application to suit their needs.

Please fix this inexplicable problem. then DOCUMENT IT!!!!

Thanks,

Lanell Allen

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you've already found the very limited ways you can customize the interface in Preferences > Interface:

- You can use Font Size to make text bigger, and you can change the Background color around images.

- Note that on Windows, the size of text in the top menu bar is controlled by the Windows display settings (Settings  > System > Display > Make Text Bigger).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a QD-OLED monitor, so having a dark toolbar with the dark stock theme is perfect as I have infinite contrast at my disposal - But even aside from this, when the dark BG is used, th toolbar should be dark too or at the very least it should follow the WIndows system theme mode preference which it does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I already found the very limited ways you can customize the interface in Preferences > Interface: This is the subject of my post. 

The size of the text is not the problem. The dark grey text on black is illegible. There is no option to adjust the color of the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost 2023 and Adobe, with one of the highest subscription costs on the market, still doesn't support dark mode on MacOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I left Lightroom for a few years since V6 and used intensely (and still do) Capture One and some others RAW softwares.
Now I'm back in Lightroom Classic and although the features are excellent I'm suprised to see again this old style UI which I don't like at all.
I can't understand why Adobe keeps this greyish interface, fonts are small and not enough readable, the panels are medium grey where they should be dark grey, the popup menus are light grey even if my Mac is set to dark mode, this white upper bar is weird, the slider buttons are too small and difficult to see... etc.
And Lightroom CC and Photoshop have perfect and customizable interfaces! Why LRC users are punished? Please Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost 2023 and Adobe, with one of the highest subscription costs on the market, still doesn't support dark mode on MacOS.

Only partially supported (some of the GUI on the Mac is). 

Not enough, agreed, upvoted. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now I have gotten a bit older, I am finding the Lightroom interface a little too dark and the text too faint. I have tried to increase font size... but it has not made that much difference. I know you can change the background colour but this is not the issue. 

I have a calabrated monitor  so it's not that my monitor is too 'dim' . Also, I don't have this problem with other software (eg ON1 or Topaz) mainly because their text is brighter.  Luckily, this is not an issue with Photoshop  as there are options to change the panel colours. 

So, is it possible to change the panel colour and brighten the text ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate