Dates wrong when importing from IPhone to LR Classic

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every few months I use a USB cable and the LR import dialogue to import photos from my IPhone into LR Classic. Recently, the thumbnails in the Import dialogue are not sorted by capture time, even though Capture Time is checked. In addition, it shows all photos though I have checked New Photos at the top. Since I import every few months, I need them in order so I can go back to the last import date and only import from there forward.

It seems like the phone is randomly redating the photos. They used to be somewhat out of order, but not this bad.

1. Any ideas what's going on or how to fix this?

2. What's another way to easily and safely transfer photos from my phone to LR CLassic?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021
You may be experiencing the below problem reported in the Photoshop Family forum. The solution is to use a card reader, which you can do if the pictures are on an SD card in the phone.   https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-import-wrong-folder-names-organizing-by-date-when-using-camera-usb/5f5f44f74b561a3d422c3fcd?topic-reply-list=[object%20Object]#reply_18271017  

translate

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be experiencing the below problem reported in the Photoshop Family forum. The solution is to use a card reader, which you can do if the pictures are on an SD card in the phone.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-import-wrong-folder-names-o...

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd,

Thanks for this, but it is not the problem. My problem is before the photos are imported. When I open the Import dialogue and look at the thumbnails to select which I want to import, the thumbnails are not in the order in which they were taken. There could be a thumbnail of a photo taken last spring right next to one taken yesterday. It's complicated by the fact that according to the date shown when I hover over the photos, they are in order. But I recognise the photos and know that they aren't in order. For example, the photo from last spring shows flowers and we have snow outside right now.

Thanks for your help!

Elise

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the solution suggested by Adobe staff at the below link.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-import-wrong-folder-names-o...

benjamin_warde

Employee

The bug occurs only when importing directly from a connected camera. If you use a card reader, the bug will not occur. If you don't have a card reader, you can connect your camera or phone directly, and first copy the photos from the camera to your hard drive in the OS, then import into Lightroom from the hard drive.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"My problem is before the photos are imported. When I open the Import dialogue and look at the thumbnails to select which I want to import, the thumbnails are not in the order in which they were taken. There could be a thumbnail of a photo taken last spring right next to one taken yesterday. It's complicated by the fact that according to the date shown when I hover over the photos, they are in order. But I recognise the photos and know that they aren't in order. For example, the photo from last spring shows flowers and we have snow outside right now."

LR does not always get correct capture dates for photos when importing via a USB cable. This can affect the order in which thumbnails are displayed in the Import window and the folder names created; it does not affect the capture dates stored in photos and displayed in the LR Metadata panel after importing. 

This bug has been present in some form for a decade, and I think it is highly unlikely it will ever get fixed. I believe it is related to the industry-standard PICT protocol (and its successors) for downloading photos over USB, and it may be caused by design flaws in the protocol or bugs in the iPhone implementation or the Windows libraries, outside of LR's direct control to fix.  It's been pretty clear that Apple has treated USB connections to iPhones as "legacy" and has been gradually deprecating them over the years in favor of "seamless" wireless services such as iCloud.

Two workarounds that have often worked for others:

1. In the Import window, select the photos from under the Files section in the left column, rather than the Devices section.

2. Use Windows File Explorer to copy the photos to disk and then import them into LR from there.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Todd and John for the help.

As yo uboth suggested, if I import into my hard drive using Windows Explorer I am able to work around this issue.

It's kind of a hassle so I think I will try using LR mobile to see if it's an easier way to get the photos into LR on my PC.

Many thanks, Elise

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try importing from the Files section rather than the Devices section in the Import window?

I use the Dropbox app to sync photos from my phone to my desktop. LR cloudy is too flaky and doesn't do video to my desktop, and I'm using Dropbox for other reasons with my photos unrelated to LR.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photos on the phone don't show up in the Files section. The only way they show up is in the Devices section.

After I import them into the hard drive I can import them thorugh the Files section.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The photos on the phone don't show up in the Files section. The only way they show up is in the Devices section."

I guess Apple removed that functionality from the iPhone USB-cable connection at some point in the last few years (part of their reducing support for USB cables).

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines