Deactivate Lightroom

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I bought a new desktop. I uninstalled lightroom 6 on my previous desktop. When i tried to install lightroom 6 on my new desktop, it says i have already 2 versions installed. How can i fix this?

Thank you

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021
Hi all, Lately, we ran across a lot of queries around the activation and deactivation of the Creative Cloud apps and other Adobe software. We understand the process can be confusing, however, it's definitely not burdensome. Below shared are a few helpful articles that will help you understand the process: Find information on Activating products like Creative Cloud, Acrobat DC & CS6, and earlier: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/download-install/kb/activate-deactivate-products.html You might run ...

Translate

Translate
replies 150 Replies 150
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you know how to access your account you should be able to deactivate one or both of your other installations.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already tried to deactivate by login out, or deinstalling the program. But still when i try to activate it on my new desktop it says my lincense has been used already?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you will have to contact Adobe. Pray that you luck out with person who answers and helps as opposed to flatly stating they no longer provide support.

Any Adobe app or web page, start by clicking on chat.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To deactivate an activated computer you have to use the computer and login to your Adobe account to complete the deactivation. If you are unable to achieve that e.g. The unit is unavailable then you have to contact Adobe and chat with an Adobe agent to physically complete the process.

This process is unique to Lightroom 6 stand alone application. Lightroom version 1 through 5 did not have mandatory activate and deactivate process, the license allowed you to have the application installed on two computers but it was not "policed". Once you used the license key the install was activated.

After Lightroom 6 licensed key application there was only the subscription applications.

Be aware support for Lightroom 6 ended over two years ago.

Regards, Denis: iMac mid-2015, 5K 27”, GPU 2GB, Ram 24GB, HDD 3TB, macOS 11.5, LrC 10.3, Lr 4.3, Ps 22.4.3, Pr 14.8.0; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like LR6 to be available to use on three computers; two desktops and one travel laptop; with two activated at one-time.     What is the process to temporarily sign out or deactivate one of the active desktops to enable activation on the travel laptop and then subsequently deactivate the laptop and reactivate the desktop later?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to sign out of the application on one computer

Sign out ==> de-activation

Then on another computer, you have to sign in

Sign in ==> activation

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, when you say sign out, does that mean you would open the LR6 application on the computer you want to sign out on...and somewhere in the menu drop down i can locate  a sign out / sign in option?   

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have LR 6 any more, but I think the Sign Out command is under the Help Menu.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, in the LR6 application, under the menu item help, I found a sign-out with my email after it.   And you get a message that says: You are currently signed in with xxxx.com   Signing out allows you to activate your Adobe products on another computer or device in accordance with the Software License Agreemet.  Make sure you are connected to the internet before you sign out.   Signing out would deactivate the following sofware on this machine unless you sign in again.      Yeah!! exactly what i was looking for to help me move back and forth between three computers with only two signed in at one time!!   Thanks so much for your response and help!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the computer you are deactivating or activating has to be connected online and you have to sign on to your Adobe account so the Adobe server can complete the process.

Regards, Denis: iMac mid-2015, 5K 27”, GPU 2GB, Ram 24GB, HDD 3TB, macOS 11.5, LrC 10.3, Lr 4.3, Ps 22.4.3, Pr 14.8.0; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. The Adobe account Sign in or sign out step is accomplished through opening the LR 6 application and using the help drop down menu on Windows 10?   Or do you do it somewhere else like explorer or the Adobe application manager?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

Lately, we ran across a lot of queries around the activation and deactivation of the Creative Cloud apps and other Adobe software. We understand the process can be confusing, however, it's definitely not burdensome. Below shared are a few helpful articles that will help you understand the process:

Find information on Activating products like Creative Cloud, Acrobat DC & CS6, and earlier:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/download-install/kb/activate-deactivate-products.html

You might run into a very common error ' Activation limit reached ' while using Creative Cloud, please see this link to solve the error:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/kb/activation-limit-reached-creative-cloud.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deactivate does not appear in the Help menu of Lightroom 6 and yet I'm asked to deactivate a prior installation before I can finish installing a new installation. Where is the Deactivate option located? Every other Adobe product I've used has Deactivate located under Help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply use the uninstaller.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LR6 , just sign out. The standalone version of LR6 has (for the first time) activation.

You will find it under Help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Kept looking for the word deactivate as a result Sign Out never registered as deactivate.

Dick

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct. I am just installing my new laptop and to find out how to keep using my LR6 I signed in (stupid) and now I learned that if ever I sign out again, the product is deactivated. What will happen when I am not connected to Internet, remains to be seen. I do not like the obscurity of the Adobe user instructions. It is as if the people making them were from another reality.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR6 stand alone does have activation. Activation questioned later. The problem with that is, you cannot sign out without having to sign back in and reactivate to use the "stand alone" product. So if you enjoy being connected to the adobe server at their whim, stay signed in. On the other hand, if you enjoy your independence and sign out and consequently go somewhere with your laptop that has no internet connectivity, guess what? You are not able to use the "stand alone" product that you purchased. Several days in the desert shooting astro, third world countries, any place isolated, you see there are many reasons that the "activation" is a major hindrance. After all, we did choose to purchase the "stand alone" product.

So what does activation mean? And, what does stand alone mean?

My definition of activation is: During the installation, you enter your key code and validate that you have indeed paid for the legitimate copy of the "stand alone" product. That should be the end of it. My definition of stand alone is: Independent and unattached.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BigMouse wrote:

On the other hand, if you enjoy your independence and sign out and consequently go somewhere with your laptop that has no internet connectivity, guess what? You are not able to use the "stand alone" product that you purchased. Several days in the desert shooting astro, third world countries, any place isolated, you see there are many reasons that the "activation" is a major hindrance. After all, we did choose to purchase the "stand alone" product.

Staying signed-in and staying connected to the internet appear to be two different things as far as standalone LR6 is concerned. From my limited testing, provided you have remained signed-in (and thus activated), you can go offline for as long as you like and continue to use your purchased product. Lightroom and/or the CC app will locally still have you recorded as "signed in", so it will continue to function. Also from my limited testing, there is no prescribed "call home" interval (unlike the CC version), so I think in theory you can carry on using the product even if you never ever reconnect to the internet. Problems would only arise should you need to reactivate for any reason (system rebuild, for example), in which case you would find it easier to go online (though I believe there is still an offline activation protocol).

I'd be interesting in knowing if other standalone users have a different experience.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Wilde said  "From my limited testing, provided you have remained signed-in (and thus activated), you can go offline for as long as you like and continue to use your purchased product."

So Jim, can you define "activated" and "stand alone"?

From the dawn of software purchasing we have been validating our purchased product. Fine and good, I understand a company wanting to protect there product from piracy. As a consumer, I do not like companies being in my business, Microsoft, US Government, Adobe or any other. Asking me to remain signed in is beyond acceptable to me. If this issue was made clear to all stand alone users, they may be right here speaking their mind also. How many users even know that they are constantly signed in? This was not part of LR5.

Has Adobe claimed the same status as the US Government and feels justified in obtrusive policy? This is a legitimate claim about customer privacy and deserves more than brushing under the rug.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, I'm just a user like you, telling you how I think it now works, because it might help other users. If you don't like the way that it now works, please take your issues up with Adobe, this is a user to user forum and we have no influence over how Adobe have chosen to implement their anti-piracy measures.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the context of LR6, "standalone" means you've paid a one-off fee to use version 6 and all it's updates for life (or as long as your future OS lets it run). CC gets you access to LR6 (and beyond) for as long as you pay Adobe monthly or annual rental fees.

In both cases you need to be connected to their servers on some basis (frequent or infrequent is unclear, to me at least) to be able to continue to use the software.

Adobe's use of the term "standalone" is at best misleading.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish someone could clarify exactly what is happening with the "sign in" situation - Adobe??

I have no problem with "activation" / "deactivation" but I see reports on these and other forums which appear to suggest that you cannot sign out on your computer as this deactivates LR.  So this means that Adobe is constantly monitoring your computer usage if you are connected to the internet.  Also if you block LR from the internet with a firewall LR slows down or becomes unresponsive.  With Photoshop CS6 you activate your software but then it only checks your activation every so often - no problem. 

I am concerned about the reports that LR continually monitors your computer even if you have un-ticked the box in the options page to NOT participate in Adobe monitoring.

Can anyone provide a definitive answer?

Ian

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone.

I found my error in that I was looking for Deactivate just like Photoshop has and not seeing Sign Out as meaning deactivate. If the error message had said "You must Sign Out" in stead of saying you must deactivate I would have seen it right away.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines