Highlighted

Delete duplicates

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a new master catalogue and imported all my catalogues into it. There are now many duplicates of the same photo - how do I delete all those duplicates?

Another possibility is to use a Duplicate Finder program outside of Lightroom Classic to delete the alleged duplicate files from your hard disk(s). Then, in Lightroom Classic the duplicates now appear as a missing photo with the exclamation point icon. Then you can get rid of them in basically a quick sequence of actions:

1. Library->Find All Missing Photos
  2. Select all
  3. Remove all of these missing photos from the catalog in one action
  4. Celebrate!
TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Delete duplicates

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a new master catalogue and imported all my catalogues into it. There are now many duplicates of the same photo - how do I delete all those duplicates?

Another possibility is to use a Duplicate Finder program outside of Lightroom Classic to delete the alleged duplicate files from your hard disk(s). Then, in Lightroom Classic the duplicates now appear as a missing photo with the exclamation point icon. Then you can get rid of them in basically a quick sequence of actions:

2. Select all
  4. Celebrate!
TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 12, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must select the duplicate manually. There's no function or filter or seach function to find duplicates automatically.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Axel is correct, this is a manual operation. However, one thing to speed things up (a bit) is in the Library mode, press the right arrow key to advance to the next image, and if you want to delete it, press the "x" key to "reject" the photo. Continue until you finish that folder (or whatever quantum bit you want to work with).

Then Enable Filters (Command/Control-L) and click on the black flag in the Filter region. This will display all of the rejected images. Then press Command/Control-a to make all rejected photos selected and finallly Command/Control-(backspace) to Delete all of the images from your system.

Yes it can be tedious but some nice music and falling into a zen mental mode will make this tolerable.

Good luck!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to above replies-

Be also aware that a Catalog merge has the ability to create Virtual Copies if one single image file was referenced in multiple catalogs with differing Development. So you may see more than one Preview of one image in the merged  master Catalog. (ie. not physical files)

The manual 'tidying' of duplicates can be assisted by plugins that can keyword 'Duplicates' and so make them easier to find.

DUPLICATE FINDER Teekesselchen: Home

Duplicate Photos (Lightroom Queen)

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0.1, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10 Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. Select all
  4. Celebrate!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0