Highlighted

deleted one photo, two were gone

Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to delete duplicate photos, I used display by capture time see possible duplicates. i found MANY duplicates, what very strange file names. So, there was one instance, I had two copies of the same photo. I deleted one in LR, and both of them were deleted. Why would deleting one photo cause the deletion of a second photo? Does it matter if one is a copy? How can i prevent that from happening?

Thanks

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

deleted one photo, two were gone

Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to delete duplicate photos, I used display by capture time see possible duplicates. i found MANY duplicates, what very strange file names. So, there was one instance, I had two copies of the same photo. I deleted one in LR, and both of them were deleted. Why would deleting one photo cause the deletion of a second photo? Does it matter if one is a copy? How can i prevent that from happening?

Thanks

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 10, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide more details or screen-clips to show us the files you are deleting (before deleted!) And investigate the folders where these files are stored in your computer. (In Lr Right-click on the thumbnail and [Go to FOlder in Library] or [Show in Explorer/Finder].

Depending how you Import photos and use Cloud sync, there are several possible answers.

"Strange filenames" might suggest they are either Previews for Lightroom to show, or possibly files synced down for Lightroom-CC.

You need to understand 'what' you are deleting!

And do NOT use a 'Duplicate File Finder' that is NOT a plugin for Lightroom, or you WILL mess up your Lr catalogs!

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding. I did see one file today called a 'virtual copy', and  I don't know what that is. Here is sort of an example, but this is after I have removed some pictures for which there were dozens of copies, and some, as you said, were really wierd file names, like 56570994546, etc.  I have not used any 3rd party plug ins, instead, I am just letting LIghtroom display in different orders, like input date, or something like that., which i read about in these forums. What worries me is that sometimes, I will delete a picture (always using lightroom) and other photos also get deleted, including the one that I thought I was keeping.

Joey301_0-1586873208613.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 14, 2020 0
Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at your screen-clip of 5 images, you have-

a JPG -  RainLily.JPG

a JPG -  RainLilyinMemory.JPG   -and a Virtual Copy of this image.

a PSD -  RainLilyinMemory.PSD  -and a Virtual Copy of this image.

The JPGs and PSDs are original 'physical' files stored in a folder on your hard-drive.

The Thumbnails with the corner turned up are Virtual Copies. They do not exist on your Hard-drive, only as previews in the Catalog.

*If you delete an 'original' file from your Hard-drive then any Virtual Copy of that image will also disappear from the Catalog.  (You can delete a Virtual Copy and the original will remain in the Catalog.)

For a video about Virtual Copies-

https://youtu.be/oi5O-XmbuOw?list=PLmXfFxjdp3CGrMbqtNj6XQ5IkQUqiIfN7

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.
The product featured in this video is Lightroom Classic CC, previously known as Lightroom CC. For more information, please visit: https://adobe.ly/2gNcw59. ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 14, 2020 2
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this is very helpful. I may have deleted a lot of original files...grrr

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to take advantage of you and ask a related question. I am trying to figure out how to best structure the files on my PC if i want to use lightroom to share my photos between my PC and my iPad/iPhone. I want ALL of my files on my PC and access to them via Lightroom on the iPad. I have all photos stored on Microsoft OneDrive inside the Photos folder. Inside OneDrive/Photos is a folder called iCloud photos. Am I creating multiple copies by doing that: One copy directly from the iPhone and one copy from the iCloud folder inside the OneDrive/Photos/iCloud folder? My question is whether I should put iCloud photos inside my OneDrive PC lightroom folder, or if this is redundant?  Should I put the iCloud folder outside of the OneDrive/Photos folder?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2020 0
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would have been better if you had created a new post to address this new issue. However the link below should provide the nessary information

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/how-to/sync-photos-lightroom-mobile.html 

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS10.15.7: LrC 9.4, Lr 3.4.1, Ps 21.2.4, Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2020 1
Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so you import a particular image file into Lightroom this is an original file and this file is preserved in its original state, no edits alter the original file, all the work you do with that image file "The Original" is stored as data in the Lightroom Catalog file. You can add that image to, Collections which you sync to the Creative Cloud storage to share with your mobile devices using Lightroom Mobile, create Virtual copies, Smart Previews, share on Web and Publish services, However if you delete that Original file from the hdd disk all the other functions you have done with the file will be removed from the Lightroom Catalog file.

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS10.15.7: LrC 9.4, Lr 3.4.1, Ps 21.2.4, Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 14, 2020 1