• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deleting Catalog Previews.lrdata

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previews occupying 182 GB on HD(100,000+ photos all located externally).  I have read the posts associated with this topic, so am aware that it is okay to do, but was curious whether to delete entire folder or simply contents.  Seems banal, but giving me pause.

Thanks for any wisdom shared.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you delete the previews, Lightroom re-creates them. So you really don't save much. You might want to change the options about how long to store the previews (for example, delete them after 1 month) or how large to make them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddly, Sttings are to delete 1:1 Previews after 30 days, and quality is set to medium, and these sttings have been in place for ~18 months.

Hence, my confusion and desire to purge.

Further thoughts?  From my reading it seems that LR will only rebuild as needed and I dont often acces the oldest photos.

Thank you @dj_paige

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"182 GB on HD(100,000+ photos all located externally)"

That sounds normal for standard-sized previews (less than 1.8 MB per preview).

Check that Standard Preview Size is set to no larger than the width of your display.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines