Highlighted

Denim/linen textures: waves/banding (?)

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Relatively new to Lightroom, been using it about a year. I shoot black and white mainly.

I am currently just exporting some of my photos for print to put in an exhibition. Something weird is happening with the textures of denim clothing when I export. 

This happens on various pictures, usually on denim clothing but I have seen it happen on linen also. It's like there is banding and where the thread petterns of denim or linen get pretty intense, they are rendered as larger wavy lines. It happens whether I export in JPEG, PNG of TIFF, but improves/disappears when I zoom in to the photo. It is the same when the exported image is viewed on my iphone. The screenshot below is an export in TIFF.

What is going on with this picture? Is it how I have edited the photo? My equiment (Sony A7iii)? Or is it just how Windows/my gpu/my screen is rendering the photo (in which case, should it be alright when I come to print)?

Any knowledge on this is much appreciated, and if I need to, how I can fix it.

Specs in case these help: Sony A7iii, Sony FE 50mm f1.8; Lightroom Classic v9.3; Windows 10 x64; GPU: nvidia RTX 2070.

Photo: shot in RAW, exported in 16bit uncompressed TIFF, profile: adobe monochrome, colour space adobe RGB, 300ppi.

Let me know if there is anything else I need to provide. Hopefully it is just my screen being annoying/me overreacting.

Thanks

Peter

TOPICS
Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Denim/linen textures: waves/banding (?)

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Relatively new to Lightroom, been using it about a year. I shoot black and white mainly.

I am currently just exporting some of my photos for print to put in an exhibition. Something weird is happening with the textures of denim clothing when I export. 

This happens on various pictures, usually on denim clothing but I have seen it happen on linen also. It's like there is banding and where the thread petterns of denim or linen get pretty intense, they are rendered as larger wavy lines. It happens whether I export in JPEG, PNG of TIFF, but improves/disappears when I zoom in to the photo. It is the same when the exported image is viewed on my iphone. The screenshot below is an export in TIFF.

What is going on with this picture? Is it how I have edited the photo? My equiment (Sony A7iii)? Or is it just how Windows/my gpu/my screen is rendering the photo (in which case, should it be alright when I come to print)?

Any knowledge on this is much appreciated, and if I need to, how I can fix it.

Specs in case these help: Sony A7iii, Sony FE 50mm f1.8; Lightroom Classic v9.3; Windows 10 x64; GPU: nvidia RTX 2070.

Photo: shot in RAW, exported in 16bit uncompressed TIFF, profile: adobe monochrome, colour space adobe RGB, 300ppi.

Let me know if there is anything else I need to provide. Hopefully it is just my screen being annoying/me overreacting.

Thanks

Peter

TOPICS
Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 31, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use the Insert Photo button.png

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moiré Patterns probably

https://photographylife.com/what-is-moire

https://www.dpmag.com/how-to/tip-of-the-week/fixing-moire-in-lightroom/

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like what I'm suffering from. Thank you so much.

I did attach the photo at the bottom but will insert from now on. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2020 0