• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Desktop folders on Macbook Pro do not show in Lightroom Classic when trying to Import

New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does LR Classic not allow me to upload, or even see desktop folders with files. I have to export folders to external HD and then I can imort to LR Classic. This is absurd. Is this a problem with Mac-OSCatalina 10.15? I cant find my desktop folders anywhere when trying to import. Do I have to put these folders somewhere else? I've been using LR for 10+ years and this is so frustrating. Maybe someone can help me understand what I might be doing wrong. Thank you. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same issue. It started with the 9.2.1 update.

I can't import files from my Memory card, Desktop or External Drives. I have checked in System Preferences and Lightroom has full disk access.

If I move the files to an existing folder and 'sync' that folder from within Lightroom, they will appear in the Library module. However if I try and Import them (even if I sync with 'show import dialouge') the files will not be seen by Lightroom.

The only fixes I have found on the internet are to check that Lightroom has full disk access. Unfortunately that didn't fix it for me. Hopefully you have better luck.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so in the Library module you go to the menu bar select File > Import photos & Video.

The import dialog box will pop up, in the top left panel where it says select source you should start at your HDD drive where your Desktop folder is located. Drill down to select the desktop folder, see the screen capture.

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 10.19.45 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Denis,

Not sure what you're getting at with your reply.

The problem is that Lightroom is not able to access any files in the folder. When doing as you say, Lightroom doesn't recognise that there are any files on the Desktop (or any other location). 

The files are there, and able to be read by other applications with no issues.

I have just uninstalled and re-installed Lightroom via the Creative Cloud app - the issue remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for trying to help. What you described is the exact procedure I follow. However, when I drill down to desktop there is nothing I can open up in Desktop. Desktop appears empty when I know it is not. If I open an external drive I can see all my folders and import whatever I want. This is a horrific problem if there is no way to access folders on my desktop for import.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tis not LR that is doing this. It is your OS, OS X Catalina. It is restricting access to certain folders. you can change that by adjusting the Folder/Drive permissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain how to adjust the folder/drive permissions? I am having the same exact problem as everyone noted above. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Google "Change drive, file, folder permissions for the OS you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines