• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Difference between all the different LIghtrooms (other than the obvious updated versions) ?

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using LIghtoom since it first came out and for a long time have been using Lightoom 5 (Version 5.7). It works beautifully and I can always easily find my folders in Lightroom or where they are located on my computer. But on this latest Lightroom Photoshop version 3.3 which I just downloaded, it doesn't show folders or for that matter is horrible at categorizing things. Is the Lightroom Photoshop different from the Lightroom I have been using before. Totally confused by all the names and versions as well. Why does this latest versions say 3.3  when I was using version 5.7 before. Adobe please explain for me because it's extremely frustrating and I totally hate this new Lightroom version 3.3. The reason why I and most people use Lighroom is because of it's simplicity and user friendly format. This version is just the total opposite. Also I don't understand the difference between all the different Lightrooms now. Is Lightroom 5 suppose to be different from Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Lightroom Classic ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to Adobe "Creativity."

The Lightroom you know and love is now called Lightroom-Classic. The Lightroom you have installed is called "Lightroom" (up until very recently Lightroom CC) but is also called Lightroom Desktop as opposed to Lightroom Mobile (on your phone or tablet) or Lightroom Web found on the the Adobe website. 

A mess? Well, yeah, but this is Adobe's idea of good branding. I say nothing more...

Meanwhile, to help you out of this morass, did you get one of the Photoshop Plans? If it included LR-Classic, just download that and you'll be good to go. If you purchased a plan that doesn't include LR-Classic, you may have to contact Adobe to change your plan, I'm sorry but I do not work for Adobe and you'll need to go online and see what you can figure out. Very sorry about that.

Good luck,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, I thought maybe my question was a little scrambled like
my brain but I'm very glad you understand my meaning. Right now my
Photoshop plan does include Lightroom and Lightroom Classic but what I am
trying to figure out is if the new Lightroom is set up like my Lightroom 5.
On that version the folders displayed in "Pictures" is carried over
somewhat to Lightroom. But on the new version, all I see is "Albums". Am I
missing something or do I not have the Lightroom set up properly ? I am
attaching two screen shots of the old setup vs. the new setup.

Thanks, Wesley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Lightroom 5.7 is one of the predecessors to the program now called Lightroom Classic. If you know how to use Lightroom 5.7 (and it sounds like you do), then you will instantly know how to use Lightroom Classic; and all of your work in Lightroom 5.7 will transfer easily to Lightroom Classic. Of course, there are many new and valuable new features in Lightroom Classic, those are worth spending the time to learn as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a detailed article to help you understand which version would be best for you:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response and referral.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I checked out this lightroom queen site and it explained to me exactly what I was frustrated about, a real lack of

features (folders, etc....) which I enjoy on my older Lightroom and are invaluable to me. Thanks for 

letting me know it wasn't just all in my head.........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another simplified way to understand it:

Lightroom 1ā€“6 through Lightroom Classic today, on macOS and Windows, is basically what Lightroom 5 was: Based on local storage, full featured desktop application. And not completely integrated withā€¦

Lightroom (not Classic) is based on cloud storage. It always has full access to all cloud photos, and all versions of Lightroom (not Classic) are more or less equally featured and synced across the macOS, Windows, iOS, Android, and web browser versions of Lightroom (not Classic). But missing a lot of features compared to Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the informative reply !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines