• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Discarding Images in Lr is a PIA

Advocate ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me it is so inefficient that I pull images from my cards to their final folder using Breeze Browser Pro, nothing is imported, no extra copies are made and squirreled away somewhere, then I can quickly (one click) discard the images I do not want. Then I move the good images into Lr.   Lr wants to make extra copies and put them in other folders and then make thumbnails.  No, no, no. 

Once I have the images in Lr it is a pain in the posterior to delete images.  I have to click on two different buttons, and navigate to each for each image.  Adobe is saying, like a helicopter mom, geeze do you realllllly want to throw that away, really?   I am no longer in fifth grade, do not ask me twice Adobe, the images are still on the card, in the one in a million times I make a mistake if I have to I can get them there.    In Breeze  Browser I can delete with one click.  I may delete hundreds of images in one session. Lr is horrible, it costs me time, time is money.  And it is irritating, every time I click it irritates me.

I do not see a way for me to change that default to one click to delete from the hard drive, which is a set up with a 1990s mindset.  If I am missing something tell me how to do that.

So Adobe, let me set the default for deletion such that I do not have to click on two buttons to delete. Leave the standard to be clicking on two if you think you must,  just give me a way around it.  Images are still on the card, and they are even still on the card after formatting.  Gone are the days where we made thirty six images a day, make it easier to get rid of the cast offs.  You default behavior belongs in the '90s.

And do not tell me to submit a feature request, if Adobe's engineers are not reading these posts we are doomed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are safeguards. Please don't submit a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. If Lightroom is making extra copies it is because you told it to do that during import.  Look at your import options.

2. You don't delete EVERY photo individually, you mark them as rejected and then delete the rejected in one step.

There is nothing to fix by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr makes preview copies, they are extra, I know how to set up Import.

I do not want to Mark as Rejected and delete in one step, and actually that would be TWO steps, if you are going to trot out the all caps.  I want to look at one image and delete it as a single event. The way you suggest is asking for trouble, in my opinion. 

Now I have to click Delete then tab to Delete from Disk, then click it, and I may do this hundreds of times a session on big projects.  Lr is a tool, for my use it is inefficient.  I bill clients by the hour.

I want the option of Delete from Disk to be the default, not Remove from Lighroom.  It is an easy thing to fix. It can stay the same for unsophisticated users, just give us that option in Preferences Adobe.

Bob, you and I will just have to disagree, I do think there is "something to fix by Adobe"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you like things disappearing at the moment of decision with one keystroke or click, set your filter to show only non-rejected photos (Flagged and Unflagged, but not Rejected) and they will disappear as you reject them, then think of delete-rejected-photos as empty-recycle-bin that you do one time at the end, not once per photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you like things disappearing at the moment of decision with one keystroke or click, set your filter to show only non-rejected photos (Flagged and Unflagged, but not Rejected) and they will disappear as you reject them, then think of delete-rejected-photos as empty-recycle-bin that you do one time at the end, not once per photo.

I've been using this method for a long time, and I find it very efficient. I defined a Library Filter bar preset "Not Rejected", since the highlighting of the flag icons has always confused me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BartonGarrett256  wrote

Lr makes preview copies, they are extra, I know how to set up Import.

You might know this already, but as of the October 2017 release it is no longer necessary to create "extra" preview images on import. There is a new option in the Import dialog box called Embedded & Sidecar. If you select that, previews are not created on import because Lightroom will use the previews already provided by the camera. That's how the "faster" image browser applications work. This speeds culling for me, especially on my older computers. I have made Embedded & Sidecar the setting for the import preset I always use.

It will use those quick previews as long as you haven't made any edits to the images in Lightroom. As soon as you enter Develop or apply a preset, a preview must be rendered because at that point the camera preview no longer represents the current edits. But as long as you stay out of Develop, you will see Embedded Preview indicated on the Loupe view of the image and images should display quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And do not tell me to submit a feature request, if Adobe's engineers are not reading these posts we are doomed.

For better or worse, Adobe has two forums: this forum, which is primarily user-to-user, and the official Adobe feedback forum, where they want all bugs and product feedback posted.  Adobe product developers read every post in the feedback forum and sometimes reply, and the feedback definitely influences them. But product developers are rarely seen in this forum.

See this FAQ from the top of the Overview page of this forum: Which forum should I post to? (Feedback vs Forums)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the Brave there is "Splat Delete"

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI....

Alt+Del will remove the image from your catalog. The so called "Splat Delete" (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Del) will remove the image from the catalog and delete it from disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/John+Blaustein  wrote

FYI....

Alt+Del will remove the image from your catalog. The so called "Splat Delete" (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Del) will remove the image from the catalog and delete it from disk.

Yes I know! Dangerous!!!

The OP asked- "to delete from the hard drive,"

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WobertC  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/John+Blaustein   wrote

FYI....

Yes I know! Dangerous!!!

The OP asked- "to delete from the hard drive,"

And the OP also said "one click" and wanted to avoid "two different buttons".

I am glad you used the word "dangerous" because it's important to emphasize that Splat Delete gives the user no option to reconsider or cancel. It's only a hidden option and this reflects how a fundamental principle of LR is to safeguard large numbers of images, whereas file browsers like BreezeBrowser are simply for reviewing/tagging (yes, I have used BB and PhotoMechanic). The OP might complain about Import's optional second copy, but it is there to allow you to ensure you can safely reformat and reuse the flash card. Maybe some people are so perfect that they never make mistakes and change their mind about images they've deleted? LR allows for the possibility that most of us aren't, or aren't so all of the time. So Splat Delete is well hidden and not publicised, while deletion allows for a methodical process with the reject flagging system, the confirmation before deletion etc. While there are imperfections in the LR import/review/culling process, there are significant advantages over file browsers such as being able to adjust images you're reviewing (handy with underexposed shots, for example). All the things the OP complains about are safeguards. Don't think you need them? Too bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CMD + OPT + Shift + Delete will delete images without the safeguard of asking before deleting. You can't undo this and not recommended however it is a quick way to remove images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines