• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do I need to upgrade Lightroom 4 to access raw files?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, first time poster. I've got Lightroom 4 but when I try to import raw (ARW) files from my Sony A6300 I get the error message "The file is not recognized by the raw format support in Lightroom (1)

I've searched the forum and tried to update Camera RAW and downloaded the DNG converter to no avail (when I try to install DNG converter I get the error that the file has been damaged and I should send it to trash).

My question is, is there something I'm missing? Is there something else I can do to fix this or am I going to have to upgrade my version of Lightroom? If I have to upgrade, is it easy to import my existing catalogue?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

The Sony A6300 was first supported in Lightroom 6.5. 

Please upgrade to latest version of Lightroom or use DNG converter to convert your raw files to dng as mentioned in https://www.adobe.com/in/products/dng/

Migrating your current Lightroom catalog is very easy. See https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-classic/help/create-catalogs.html#upgrade_a_catalog

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Akash. Whenever I download the DNG Converter and then try to install it, I get the error "DNGConverter_12_1.dmg is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash."

Looks like I need to upgrade! Or, any ideas how to fix the above error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you install the latest version of DNG Converter?

It should be possible to convert a whole folder of ARW files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately whenever I download the DNG Converter and then try to install it, I get the error "DNGConverter_12_1.dmg is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash."

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running MacOS Catalina (10.15) or an older OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try downloading DNG Converter 11 which also supports your camera files. Let us know if that makes any difference.

https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=6743

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That version worked and now I can convert and import the images in. You're a legend, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, when using the import window, can't you copy as DNG? Have you tried this?

copy as DNG.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that from the beginning, but I still get the error that the file type isn't recognised by Lightroom 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

speak portuguese please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is only possible to use the Copy as DNG option if the version of Lightroom is already capable of reading the native raw files. Lightroom 4 is too old to read the native raw files from that camera.

What operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Jim, I've downloaded another version of DNG Converter and that seems to have done the trick. I've got a big trip coming up so I'll upgrade my version of Lightroom when I get back from there 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines