• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do Lightroom backup from within Lightroom

Participant ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do an all-day work session in Lightroom, I like to back up every few hours, just be sure that I don't lose a full day's work, if there is catalog corruption or a huge mistake.  Right now I need to exit Lightroom and then restart it, which can be a real time-waster.

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user-to-user forum. For feature requests, go to https://feedback.photoshop.com. Search for your feature request first. If it is already requested by someone else, then don't create a new thread but add your vote to the existing request.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used LRRelaunch a few times. It takes the "Reopen" step out of:  Exit>Backup>Reopen.

RELAUNCH SCRIPT

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And your Actual question?

If it is "How do I Backup the LrC catalog without closing the program" the answer is extremely simple.

Manually COPY the LrC Catalog, just the CatalogName.lrcat file, to some other drive on your system using the File Manager program that is included with the operating system. Finder on Mac and File Explorer on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would probably not be a good idea. If you make a copy of the catalog while Lightroom is running, then you'll copy an open database file rather than a correctly closed one. There is a good chance that you won't be able to use this copy as backup if and when the time comes that you need to replace your catalog by a backup.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done this and it works fine. 

I would suggest it if I hadn't done this and been doing this for a few years now. To test when I have the time I open those backups and I do do the normal backups once a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then something must have changed. There were issues with Apple Time Machine backups for exactly that reason. Maybe that was because Time Machine could backup a catalog at the very moment Lightroom was writing to it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, one would not, should not, start a backup, a manual backup, then before the backup is finished, go and touch LrC, that would be asking for it. Stop what you are doing, create the backup (copy) wait until it is done, then go back to editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though I takes more time, I would quit and restart Lightroom (and let Lightroom make the backup on quit). The advantage of letting Lightroom do it is that is verifies the catalog before backing up, so you are absolutely certain. If you are in a hurry, you could uncheck the option to optimize in the backup dialog. You do not need to optimize each day, let alone after each backup if you backup several times a day.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe of interest: using the LRRelaunch script- My 60,000 image catalog takes me 3 mouse clicks, 25 seconds to backup, and about 10 seconds restarting automatically.

~30 seconds is not a lot of time to spend ensuring that regular backups are created.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines