Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do not copy JPEGs on Raw files to hard drive via Lightroom

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My camera is set to RAW + JPEG.  While in LR Classic, and looking at my newest photos, I copy these onto a hard drive via the LR method.  The thing is, JPEGs are also being copied onto my hard drive, but I do not want this to happen.  How to only have RAWs copied over?

Thank you,

DC

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Welcome to the Adobe Community!

Could you please let us know what method are you using to compy files to the hard drive?
Also, what version of Lightroom and the operating system you're working with?

We're here to help, just need more info.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming these unwanted files are being brought into the computer by Lightroom Classic, during a 'Copy' import: 

there are two options for how Lightroom Classic should treat any paired Raw and JPG files that it imports by any means (with the same name, differing only in the file extension).

In LR Preferences, General tab, Import options section is a checkbox "treat JPEG files next to Raw files as separate photos".

If checked, you have the ability to decide for each JPG and for each Raw, separately, whether to uncheck either one from being imported. Any that are imported, then stand fully independent of each other.  

If not checked, whenever a Raw+JPG pair is encountered in the import dialog, it's all or nothing. The Raw is primary and that is the one that you edit. File type reported for that photo thumbnail, is "Raw+JPG" to denote that there is a silent partner involved. If you delete, move, rename a Raw+JPG image in LR that operation is applied to both files as well as to any further metadata (.XMP) sidecar. This non-functional JPG is sometimes also referred to as a "sidecar".

Options to prevent this happening include: set the camera to shoot Raw only (my own considered preference: the camera can always convert a JPG for me, if that's ever needed); if the camera offers this, set it to write the JPG onto a different card than the Raw; use some other method to copy just the Raws selectively into the computer, according to the filing that you want, and then perform a separate 'Add' import to bring those into Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, I think I'm just going to RAW it on the camera, and figure a quick JPEG option elsewhere. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines