• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Don't Upgrade to Lightroom 10.0!

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's obvious I'm not the only one experiencing major issues with Lightroom 10.0 but just a few of the glitches I'm trying to work around:

1. When opeing multiple files as layers from LR into PS, PS simply stops mid process.  It doesn't freeze up the program it just stops loading more layers.  It's an intermittent problem which makes it even more maddening as it seems to work fine then fails, then works, then fails, fails, fails, ... There's no error message.  

2. You can't go "backwards" in the catalog, meaning if you decide to un-install and reinstall the previous version you'll lose your edits since the previous version's back up.  The new catalog isn't compatible with the old one. My last back up from the old catalog was a month ago so I would've lost a month and a half of edits had I gone that route.  The tech agent admitted this is an issue (but had no fix) and said they hope to have an update "soon" so I reverted to the new one ago to regain my edits but...

3.  I lost all my presets and preferences (I had them saved elsewhere, thankfully, but they don't import as easily or with the same organizational method).  In any case its a time suck to reinstall all the presets. The tech agent tried to tell me that my presets aren't visible unless the files with those presets are connected via the hard drive...as if presets that you purchase and haven't used yet wouldn't be visible... until you use them?!?

4. You'll be flying solo with no help from Tech Support. Do not ever surrender control of your computer to a live chat tech support agent.  After 4 failures to resolve the issue I finally conceded and allowed the Adobe Support Computer "Sharing" App but then watched in horror as he almost un-installed the program (had already tried and failed and spent hours recovering data from that) despite telling him specifically to not to do ANYTHING without discussing it first.  Once the agent has control of your cursor you can't stop it unless they pause. I've been on hold for hours multiple times on tech support phone, and have been disconnected 6-8 times. I can't email about my case because the agent closed it even though it wasn't resolved.  I opened it again three times...same conclusion.  I write all this so you're aware.  I've used Adobe software for over 20 years.  They blew it here.  I'm dead in the water losing money rapidly because it's taking four times longer to work up images with all these glitches...there are more in the upgrade of PS as well, but that's another post. Next I'll uninstall the latest PS and reinstall the previous version and see if that improves anything.

Wait until the bugs are cleared before you upgrade.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

2: This is normal with almost all Lightroom Classic upgrades. The catalog is upgraded, so it is not downwards compatible. There won't be an upgrade that will change this. You can go back without losing edits on new images however. This is how you do that: In Lr 10 select all new images and hit Cmd-S (Mac) / Ctrl-S (PC). Now uninstall Lr 10 and reinstall Lr 9. Open the last Lr 9 catalog. Your new images will not yet be in there. Import them and you will see that they will import with all edits an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

1:  This bug is known, and the suggested workaround is-

Open files as separate documents, then go File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack.

Open as layers in Photoshop function broken after update | Adobe Photoshop Family

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you are having issues.. this is a user to user forum so please post your issue at the link where it will get seen by Adobe Engineers

https://feedback.photoshop.com/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Geoff:

What I'm noticing lately from Adobe is a decidedly handsoff, distanced approach to customer service.  I attempted to sign in via the link you sent but was prompted to change my password to create a new account which I did not want to do for obvious reasons.  It was unclear if that would've been a unique password for that specific site or if it would've entailed then changing the password for all my other Adobe connected apps, services.  In any case, not exactly a seamless path to receive input from an Adobe product user.

Add to the above list of glitches in LR/PS:  when scrolling across an image, frequently it doesn't stop scrolling and you can't stop it. You have to use the scroll bars.  It's not a mouse issue.  I swapped that out.  Like the other issues, this one is intermitant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2: This is normal with almost all Lightroom Classic upgrades. The catalog is upgraded, so it is not downwards compatible. There won't be an upgrade that will change this. You can go back without losing edits on new images however. This is how you do that: In Lr 10 select all new images and hit Cmd-S (Mac) / Ctrl-S (PC). Now uninstall Lr 10 and reinstall Lr 9. Open the last Lr 9 catalog. Your new images will not yet be in there. Import them and you will see that they will import with all edits and metadata.

3: There is no reason why you would lose presets and preferences when you upgrade. And -as usual- the Adobe tech is talking rubbish. Did you perhaps store presets with the catalog in Lr 9? If that setting got changed with Lr 10, you would indeed not see your presets until you move them to the default place. Or vice versa.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Johan

2. I'm confident your solution will work though, at the time I posted, I did not have access to a lot of the new images which for varous reasons had to be stored on two different external drives. The difficulty is that in the last 7 weeks I've been working on images both old and new and LR , in a date search, only appears to recognize "date" as being that of creation. What I have to weigh is which loss of time/work is greater...the time spent uninstalling, reverting and hopefully reimporting my work of the last 7 weeks vs the gamble Adobe will address and update the glitches combined with the slow work pace due to the bugs.  Not a clear winner either way.

3. No, I shouldn't have lost the presets except the Adobe tech support agent through his experiment in "fixing" my glitch lost them and I had to manually import them...again, it was a PITA because they were importing as they were in the last catalog.  Luckily I'd saved them in a separate folder while he had no earthly clue how to import them without every preset importing in one long string instead of separate subfolders as I'd had them arranged prior.  He also said, "Sorry, I guess you will lose your edits". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1:  This bug is known, and the suggested workaround is-

Open files as separate documents, then go File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack.

Open as layers in Photoshop function broken after update | Adobe Photoshop Family

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Wobert:

While technically, yes, that workaround does work.  It's also sluggish.  What I've wound up doing in opening from LR (which works 50-75% of the time) then, when it doesn't work I simply then return to LR and select the files it didnt open and add them to the first batch of abbreviated layers that did open.  Also slow but aat least it's easier to view and keep track of the files and edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines