• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

downloading Lightroom cc

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working my way through Lightroom and it is working extremely well. However I need to convert negative to positive images in a greater quantity. I was thinking of using Photoshop but was pointed towards Negative Lab Pro. by someone on that site.   It seems a great add on. However I am currently using Lightroom 4 and I have been unable to install it. The recommendation were to use it with Lightroom CC. Is that a smooth transition to make and is it compatible with what I have running at this time? Also where can I get it. I would like to get the pure Adobe product rather than going to spurious sites.

Thanks

Sockit

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC does not exist anymore. There are two versions of Lightroom. One is called just Lightroom or Lightroom Desktop and it is an app that stores all your images in the cloud so on the forum we often call it Lightroom Cloudy. The other is called Lightroom Classic which is the normal version of Lightroom and it stores original images only on local hard disks. Lightroom Cloudy is much less full featured and much less mature than Classic and doesn't support most plugins, so my guess is that you have Lightroom Cloudy (which is currently at version 4.0). Indeed "Negative Lab Pro" only works for Classic as far as I can tell from their website. So if you want to use Negative Lab Pro, you should switch to the Lightroom CLassic subscription instead of the Lightroom Desktop subscription. What you want is the "Photography (20GB)" plan and NOT the Lightroom plan. The photography plan comes with Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, and Lightroom Cloudy but only gives you 20GB of cloud storage. The Lightroom plan just gives you Lightroom Cloudy and no access to Photoshop or Classic. You don't need the cloud storage for Classic or Photoshop.

This is extremely confusing and Adobe should never have named the Lightroom Cloudy app Lightroom. So many people come to this forum with issues just like you describe where things don't seem to work right or look different than the online tutorials they found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jao that explains the problems I have encountered. I do not need any storage as I am currently using a 5 Tb disk which offers almost unlimited storage, and I put my finished items onto a NAS with 30 Tb backed up storage. Is there any way I could migrate from the Lightroom 4 that I purchased many moons ago to a stand alone Lightroom Classic?

Thanks

Sockit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not sell a standalone version of Lightroom anymore. Lightroom Classic is the version that has replaced what you are using. It works just like the version you are using in that it installs on your computer and utilizes a local catalog. It stores images locally on your computer just like the version you have been using. Adobe utilizes the cloud to deliver updates to the program as they become available, and that happens several times each year. As an added benefit, it is possible if you choose to do so to share collections of images to the cloud. Isn't something that you have to do, but is an option that is there if you want to use it. Again, there is no standalone version of Lightroom that you can purchase anymore. Lightroom or Lightroom Classic as it is now referred to is only available by subscription. Lightroom Classic IS basically the standalone version you are accustomed to using. The only difference is that it is only available by subscription, and includes the latest version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Thanks for that information. I will have to investigate it as I
really need the additional plug i

Sockit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing to be aware of if you decide to get the newer classic, is that it requires a fairly recent version of your computer's operating system. If you are still using the very old Lightroom 4, you might also be on an older Windows or Mac OS X version that the latest Lightroom Classic is not compatible with so check the system requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the thought. I am using the latest 64 bit  Windows 10 which
is running well on my computer.

Sockit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, to clarify just a little further, Lightroom Classic really is a standalone version. It functions just like the Lightroom 4 that you have been using. But the difference is that instead of acquiring a disk to install the software you subscribe and install a program that gives you access to the applications which you have subscribed, and you simply install the software from the cloud. And that's where the cloud comes in. Lightroom Classic installs and runs just like Lightroom 4 did. However, it has been significantly updated with many new features and tools that I think you would find invaluable. I have. And if the plug-in you are needing requires Lightroom Classic then that's where you would want to go. LrC will upgrade your existing catalog so that you can simply continue working right where you left off in Lightroom 4. You'll have to learn to use the new features, but I don't think you'll be totally lost. The interface is pretty much the same as I recall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would like to thank everyone for the help that I have received. I have been quiet as I had to switch to Lightroom cc and found when I had done it found that my installation of the Negative Lab Pro completed normally. However now I am trying to acclimatise myself to the new form of Lightroom which is not easy as the colour controls seem so sensitive. So I am starting by setting up facial recognition and geotagging to familiarise myself with the interface and  find that modifying the colour curves seems the easiest way to do colour correction at this point.  I was surprised that the controls are still reversed if the negative to positive transition is employed. I know that exporting and then reimporting the images does  correct that problem. Is that recommended? 

Thanks

Sockit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines