Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Draw Face Region no longer available?

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Everyone, 

I'm in a trial period for Lightroom and got the photographer's package which has lightroom and lightroom classic. I'm struggling a bit with the facial recognition piece (the largest draw to the software). In some videos I see people can draw face regions to add missing tags that the AI piece doesn't pick up (side profiles, distant faces, pets, etc.). In other videos or help articles, they don't mention this. I also don't see the face icon at the bottom of the toolbar that I see in other videos - they keep referencing Loupe View but I think that's the same view some refer to as the Filmstrip view, correct?

I've attached a photo example of what I mean. My grandfather which actually is one of the primary faces in the picture did not register a People tag, but the others did. There doesn't seem to be a way I can draw a face region to include him in the People library.

This is a make or break decision point to keep the software since I'm finding so many of my photos (especially old scans) do not seem to register people through the AI People finder and I don't want to combine Keywords with People as that seems like double the work in indexing (creating Keyword tags to match People). If you use People area for searching, those tagged with keywords only don't come up. Although I guess in theory People are also tags, so using the search bar instead of the People avatars you get both names added as People and as Keywords which then begs the question why bother with the People section to begin with?

Can anyone confirm that this is a depricated feature of the lastest suite of offerings or is a settings which is buried somewhere I can't find?

Would appreciate your help to understand this feature and just confirm I'm not missing anything here.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draw Face Region is only available in Lightroom Classic whereas your screenshot is Lightroom Desktop, which doesn't support the DFR feature. However, I've attached a screesnhot for Classic that shows where/how to enable Draw Face Region, which you also indicate having.

draw-face-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ian,

Fascinating! I had no idea there was a different desktop application - I thought the Lightroom version installed was the "Classic" version but I see now it is a different logo - Lr and LcR - very confusing for beginners like me! When I purchased the package it took you to a Lightroom Desktop install file. That certainly solves everything but begs the question if the classic version is goin away? Do you know by chance? I don't think I'm understanding the full differences here between Lightroom Desktop (Lr), Lightroom Classic Desktop (LrC), Lightroom CC but I think this is the piece I was missing.

Thank you SO much for responding!

Tracy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines