Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreaded Moving Drives–foiled again!

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I am trying to set up my cataligue and images on a new external SSD, replacing an older one. I DO NOT want to take the files off the old drive as it will serve as an off-site back up for now-so it is a copy, not a "move". I first copied the Lightroom folder with catalogue and associated files to the new drive using the finder. Unmounted old drive and catalogue opens fine but no images-and, new drive name not showing under folder. I then copied the images, using the finder as is recommneded in several places when moving large numbers of images, onto the new drive with the same file structure. (The only differnce  is the drive has a different name.) LR opens on the new drive, there are no images or folders and no new drive showing. 

So...how do I now get the drive reflected in the panel and the images to populate? On my folder panel it shows the old drive, dark, becasue it is unmounted and it shows my inernal drive. But not the new drive. (althogh the lrcat file is definitely opened from this drive.) If I try Find all mising photos from the library menu, it says there are none.  If I choose "add" folder from the folder panel and navigate to the top level folder, it is there but...that seems to open the "Import" window, which I do not want to do. So...is it normal the new drive not be showing under folders since the lrcat is on that drive? And how do I re-find the new images? Should I have called the  drive the same thing? I really do not want to botch this up-if I havent already-as it took quite a while to move all those images to the new drive. But if I have to start over, I will. I just do not want to remove everything from the old drive. So what did I do wrong here?

Thanks

Nancie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please follow the instructions in “Part 2 — Updating Folder Location” of this document

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Important point, in case you (or anyone else reading along) haven't realized this already: do not Import. do not Import. do not Import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. Not trying to import. Unfortuantely I have tried this. I have tried several things but no matter what, the lrcat file opens from the new drive ( as confirmed in catalogue settings) but the drive does NOT show under the folder panel. Not do any images. Scratching my head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The strange thing is, when I open the lrcat from the old drive, the new drive with all the image folders are seen there. But when I open the new drive, no images. And it shows the old drive where I relocated the images from with all the folders but 0 images. Clearly I have walked myslf into a web of confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The location of the catalog file on Drive #1 or Drive #2 is irrelevant. When you use the "Update Folder Location" command, what happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just scrapped the whole thing and started over. I have no idea what happend last time–when I did update location on drive 1, it exectuted and showed the images correctly in the new location. But when I opened the catalogue in that location,  there were no images, No missing file !. Nothing. I reloated them back to thier original desitnation and they were fine. Tried again. Nothing.  I scraped the catalgoue folder altogehter and recopied it, did a second relocate (third actually!) and this time when I opened the catalgoue on the new drive, everything was there. I checked under the computer for mice or deliquent elves, all clear. So, somewhere along the path I just did something wrong. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You opened the wrong catalog if it showed nothing. You have to keep using the same catalog file as you were using before the move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please can you explain exactly what you mean by "I opened the catalog in that location": what steps you took.

Because this rings some alarm bells with me, about the workflow concepts you may be presuming.

A Catalog's location, and the location of the images that it references, are functionally unrelated. Could be on the same drive, or different, makes no practical nevermind. Even, a single Catalog can manage images which are spread physically across several drives. Each image imported to a Catalog "knows" its own individual drive volume and folder path: information which can be later updated if required, within the same, single, ongoing Catalog. And what you see in the Folders panel, is a summary report listing out all this "location knowledge" that all of the images, jointly and severally, hold. It speaks of where they all "believe" they live. If those beliefs get invalidated by changing circumstances (say, the files have been physically moved outside of LR) then all that needs to be corrected, is what beliefs about their location, these images now hold. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Honestly, this was a 4 hour process and I am not sure where along the way I made the error. But in deleteing and doing it all again, the relocate worked and the new drive is fully functioning with catalgoue and images.  What I  meant was I opened the catalogue that was on the same drive that the images had been relocated to.  

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines