Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dual Workflow - Classic and CC

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've only used Lightroom 6 before and I'm thinking of subscribing to the Photography 20GB plan. I did a lot of reading but this synching thing is all very confusing. My desired use case is as follows:

1. Any picture I take with my SLR, I'll import the RAW into Classic on my computer, where I can properly manage my backups. I want this to be my "master" photo collections

2. Import the pictures I take on my iPhone using the Lightroom iOS app into the Cloud. Have these pictures sync down to Lightroom Classic on my computer so I have it in my "master" and be backed up

3. When I approach the 20GB limit, I'd like to delete the photos on the cloud to make more space. Hoping this doesn't impact what was downloaded to Lightroom Classic so I don't lose it in my "master"

Does the platform allow this and work this way? Is there a better way to do what I kind of want?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Hi there,

You can sync the images from Lightroom Classic to Lightroom (Cloud) and vice versa. The images you sync from the mobile applications, sync with the catalog in Lightroom Classic as collections. You can specify a location in the Lightroom Sync preferences of Lightroom Classic where the images can be saved on the computer (or an external drive). Once the sync is complete, you can backup the images from the location you have assigned and add/import them to the catalog as well.

Please n

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Images that originate in the cloud (for example photos you shoot with your iPhone) are downloaded as originals in Lightroom Classic. If you remove these images from the cloud, the originals remain in Lightroom Classic. They will only be removed from any synced collection, but not from the catalog and not from disk.

Images from your DSLR that originate in Lightroom Classic will be synced to the cloud as smart previews only. That is fine for viewing and editing on a mobile device, but it means t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

You can sync the images from Lightroom Classic to Lightroom (Cloud) and vice versa. The images you sync from the mobile applications, sync with the catalog in Lightroom Classic as collections. You can specify a location in the Lightroom Sync preferences of Lightroom Classic where the images can be saved on the computer (or an external drive). Once the sync is complete, you can backup the images from the location you have assigned and add/import them to the catalog as well.

Please note that if you remove the images from the cloud storage, they would be removed from the collections in Lightroom Classic as well. It is recommended to backup the synced images (to an alternate location) before removing them from the cloud storage.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. Couple follow-up questions:

1. In the scenario where I add a RAW pic to Lightroom Classic and have it synced to Lightroom Cloud - what happens when I delete that picture from Lightroom Cloud to save space? Will that deletion sync back to my Lightroom Classic and delete it from my "master" library as well?

2. In the scenarion where I added a mobile pic via Lightroom Cloud and it syncs to Lightroom Classic as a collection, can I move it to Lightroom Classic that's not in a collection? So when I delete it on the cloud, it doesn't affect that picture in Classic? I want to keep everything in my Lightroom Classic as a "master" copy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images that originate in the cloud (for example photos you shoot with your iPhone) are downloaded as originals in Lightroom Classic. If you remove these images from the cloud, the originals remain in Lightroom Classic. They will only be removed from any synced collection, but not from the catalog and not from disk.

Images from your DSLR that originate in Lightroom Classic will be synced to the cloud as smart previews only. That is fine for viewing and editing on a mobile device, but it means this is not an online backup. Backup your images with a local backup application, just like you (hopefully) do now in Lightroom 6. Remember that Lightroom itself can only make backups of the catalog file, not the images.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johan. 

If only smart previews are uploaded to the cloud, can I still edit those RAWs and share those pictures on my phone or tablet to social media? Is the resolution sufficient?

Also, does videos upload from mobile to the cloud and down the Classic in the same way as pictures?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, you can still edit them as raw. Smart previews are 2540 pixels wide, so that's enough for social media.

Videos do upload from your mobile device to the cloud and then download into Lightroom Classic. They do not upload from Lightroom Classic to the cloud, however.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines