eAdding a new hard drive to Folders

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My back up drive is full and I want to add a new back up drive to move photos from my hard drive to and external 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

This is the best explanation I've found.

HOWEVER, keep in mind that all drives will fail, the only thing you do not know is when.

Here's what I do: I have a primary drive that has all my photos. I have a 2nd drive that I back the first drive up to at least once a week (or just after a large shoot). I also use a Cloud service incase the house burns down. Excessive? Well, I can sleep at night. And, FWIW, 3 weeks ago my primary drive died. I got a new drive, backed the backup drive to this new primary and was back at work, didn't lose a thing. YMMV

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ack, forgot to add the link! Sorry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9B0lq6GJZc

Adobe Evangelist Terry White is here to show you how to safely move your photos to another hard drive in Lightroom Classic CC. This method will always ensure...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"My back up drive is full and I want to add a new back up drive to move photos from my hard drive to and external"

In general, photos on backup drives are not cataloged in Lightroom Classic. The originals are cataloged in Lightroom Classic. So I don't understand what you are trying to do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it is your backup drive, adding another drive to the set of backup drives is just that simple. No need to copy files from the old to the new, just backup the new files on the new drive.

If need be, tell us how your system is configured, and we can discuss the details of your case.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quote:
My back up drive is full and I want to add a new back up drive to move photos from my hard drive to and external 
End Quote:

And what does this have to do with the LrC catalog and the images you have imported into LrC?

A Backup drive, to backup whatever, whether internal or external, has nothing to do with the drive that is holding the images you have imported into LrC.

Please Note that there are NO Images in the LrC Catalog. LrC is a Database program and only References, make a record of, your images from where they are stored. So If the drive you are saying is your Back Up drive that is full and you only have One Copy of all those image you need 2 external drives. One for copying your images to from the drive that is full and another to make a Second Copy of them as a Back Up of them.

That Full drive is Not a Backup of your images. It is the only drive your images are on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines