• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit and re-export

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a folder created on my PC named Favourites, that I use for saving the images I use as my desktop slideshow. Is there any way that I can edit images from that folder and save them back to the same folder and have the originals overwritten rather than having to create a new file name? My only prompt is Use Unique Names and Overwrite is greyed out.

Bob

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

The message you are seeing is dependent on which image you are editing in Lightroom. There are two possibilities-

1) You select and edit the original 'out-of camera' file to make a difference, and Export it to your {Favourites} folder.

No problem you will see the [Overwrite] option available.

2) You select and edit the "slideshow" image in the {Favourites} folder and you cannot [Overwrite]

The reason being is that Lightroom believes the image in {Favourites} to be your "Source" image and is coded no

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message you are seeing is dependent on which image you are editing in Lightroom. There are two possibilities-

1) You select and edit the original 'out-of camera' file to make a difference, and Export it to your {Favourites} folder.

No problem you will see the [Overwrite] option available.

2) You select and edit the "slideshow" image in the {Favourites} folder and you cannot [Overwrite]

The reason being is that Lightroom believes the image in {Favourites} to be your "Source" image and is coded not to overwrite or destroy original "Source" image files.  This is explained in the error message dialog if you read it.

When the  "Source" image is the original 'out-of camera' file, then Lightroom has no problem overwriting any derivative exported files.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I should search for the "original source file", edit that and re export and I should get the overwrite option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you export the same folder AND the export file has the same name, then the export dialog allows you to choose to overwrite, ask what to do, or create a unique name. If you choose the option to ask what to do, then you will be given the appropriate choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2019 Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

heirloombob  wrote

So I should search for the "original source file", edit that and re export and I should get the overwrite option.

If you have got both your camera original file AND your "favourites" folder version showing up in Lightroom, as separate images, then both are currently "source" files so far as LR is concerned. LR is protecting the integrity of both these files on disk. Hence Trying to over-write either with a new export, will still be prevented - regardless which of the two LR versions you are trying to export.

In effect, importing Favourites images has "tied your hands" towards those files. You don't need to see your exports themselves within LR. It's far better not to IMO.

So I suggest the whole Favourites folder needs to be removed from appearing in your LR Catalog (without deleting the files on disk).

You only need to identify which of your original / working images you consider to be suitable to have copies made into e.g. Favourites - as shown by belonging to a special Collection, or having a special keyword, or a special star rating, or whatever. At any time you can present in LR as a single group, on the fly, all of the images you have denoted in this way - whatever different folders all their various source files might actually live in.

This also means for the future, ensuring that future Exports do NOT have the "Add to this Catalog" option checked.

A convenient way to manage and update an external Favourites folder, is through the Publish feature - which automatically tracks which relevant images have been altered, or not altered, since you last "refreshed" this external folder (with a single click). This can refer to a Publish collection which identifies what images currently need to be included. Otherwise, you can track this all yourself and re-Export particular images as you choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines