• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit in Adobe Photoshop 2021 works very slow with Camera Raw 13.0

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Edit in Adobe Photoshop 2021 works very slow with Camera Raw 13.0 on my new and much faster computer (PS 22.01 and LR 10.0). It takes 9 seconds to load with already opened PS application and when loaded PS don't switch active window. I tried to install Camera Raw 12.4 and if i select "Render using Lightroom" in warning dialog then it open fast (2 sec) and switch active window to the PS (but with auto-save new version in LR catalog). Any ideas how to bring normal application behavior back? And what the fastest method to edit in Photoshop for your installation: Render using Lightroom or Camera Raw? Is there any option to choose the method in Preferences without warning window? And what the actual difference between theese methods (besides auto save in catalog)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post in the Camera Raw forum. This is not a Lightroom Classic question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Thanks, actually the issue seems related to Camera Raw but for now i understood that i have lack of general knowladge about "Edit in Photoshop" function in LR. At least i don't know how to select default method of rendering in LR preference for this function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I would like to offer the info about what takes place when I send one of my raw images from LrC 10 to Ps 2021 using the "edit in" function.

1. Open LrC on my system, info is in my signature below. This process takes in excess of 10 seconds if it is the first boot for the morning.

2. Select an image to edit, select edit in Ps, at this stage Ps begins to boot and this completes in approximately 10 seconds. Then the process to render the image begins, it is my understanding that ACR 13 (plug-in in Ps) is used, The rendered image is displayed in Ps.

I am expecting that Adobe will address this response time in future updates.

Have you tried ensuring Ps is opened before beginning the edit-in process? If I have both applications open before starting the process it takes less than 2 seconds.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed info. Yes, i measured time with opened PS (it is standard case for my workflow).
Actually now i'm not sure what method i use on my old system before (but edited image was not added in LR catalog until i manually saved it in PS for sure). Is it show any additional Camera Raw windows during image render process?

I can use "Render using Lightroom" method with "Don't show again" flag as workaround but it whould be nice to understand why the application behavior was changed. Also i noticed that old system loads all 4 available CPU threads 80+ percent during "Edit in Photoshop" process but new system loads only one CPU thread a time during it (actually it swiches several threads one by one with 80%+ loads).

Some extra info:
Old system: Windows 7, Intel i5-3570, PS 21.02, LR 9.1.
New system: Windows 10, AMD 3960x, PS 22.01, LR 10.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote "I can use "Render using Lightroom" method with "Don't show again" flag as workaround"

You will only receive that option when LrC and the Plug-in ACR in Ps are not in sync.

If you check About Lightroom you should see the version that LrC is compatible with.

In Photoshop you need to check the Camera Raw Plugin version installed. Camera Raw plugin gets updated independently of Ps.

See the screen captures

Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 11.36.29 AM.pngScreenshot 2020-12-05 at 11.39.58 AM.png

Check the Adobe Creative Cloud app on your desktop for updates.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I specifically installed old version of Camera Raw to test if it helps (it was recommended on forum for some other issues with Camera Raw). So am i forced to use Camera Raw rendering if the latest version of Camera Raw installed in my system without any option to choose alternative method?

Still not sure what the reason to use it and what the difference with "Render using Lightroom" method.. How rendering happens in LR if there is no Camera Raw installed at all? Can i uninstall Camera Raw completely by the way and how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First question. When the camera raw in LrC and the ACR Plug-in installed in Photoshop match there is no need for an alternative. Photoshop uses the ACR plug-in to render the raw file, applies the edits from LrC and the file displays in Photoshop. When you complete the edits in Ps you save the file and a tiff / psd file is saved alongside the original file. It would import into the LrC Catalog. If the version of the Camera Raw plug-in is not in sync you should get a pop up with two edit options "open with LrC adjustments or "open anyway". If you choose the first option LrC will create a tiff / psd and save alongside the original file, the file will open in Ps for further editing and will update the tiff / psd file when you save from Ps. If you choose the second option the ACR plug-in Ps will render the raw data with its own version of Camera Raw and file will open in Ps.

Second question. The Camera Raw plug-in in LrC is built in and is specific to the LrC version installed you cannot change or remove it. LrC is an independent application and does not require that you have Ps and Camera Raw installed on your computer. However removing / uninstalling Camera Raw plug-in will certainly affect many functions in Ps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. It makes much more sense now.
But i still don't understand why it works differently with Camera Raw 13.0 installed on my new system if i have same version in LrC..
LrC_version.jpg
By the way in the Cloud on the old system it suggest to update Camera Raw to the 13.0.2 version (if i not mistaken). Is it same as 13.0 version or not? I can't find this subversion on the installation page: https://helpx.adobe.com/ru/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html
Cloud_old.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was an update after the release of the initial release of ACR 13 check for an update in Adobe Creative Cloud on your Desktop. Adobe Creative Cloud also shows Camera raw at 13.0.2, on my wife's Win 10 system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PS reinstall did not help (at least with "Save preference" option enabled).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And for the new system Adobe Cloud atm shows that i have latest Camera Raw althou i installed old version by myself (or is it not replacing latest version somehow?):Cloud_new.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should i try to reinstall PS completely if there are no better ideas to try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In /preferences/external editing/  for the Photoshop section, in compression, are you selecting zip (if TIFF)/

That will slow PS down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried both options. There is difference only when i manually Save in the PS but not when it opens with "Edit in" function.
Not sure if it even applied compression somehow during "Edit in" because PS doesn't yet save any file in that case (just to set compression option for later saving process for the Tiff file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually there is 1sec difference when i use "Render using Lightroom" method because it saves Tiff first from LrC then opens it in PS, but i removed compression option any way (i only use compression for the final version of file after editing completion).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines