• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit in Photoshop is not working with Lightroom Classic

Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Friends, Nothing happens except for photoshop launching unless I already have it open when I try to edit in PS from Lightroom Classic. I have tried as many suggested fixes as I can find. Deleting preferences, uninstalling and reinstalling both PS and LR. I still can't get it to function properly. Very frustrating as I do most of my editing in LR and only use photoshop for cloning etc. I am current in my operating system on a 2017 I Mac with plenty of power and all the goodies needed to run the programs. According to creative cloud, all of my applications are up to date.

Has anyone had any success with solving this problem? Thank you in advance for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

What do you mean by "I tried launching with PS already open and still PS gives me a blank screen".

Do you mean you try to OPEN and image using File Open in PS and the image still doesn't show up in the PS program.

the only thing I can suggest is to completely remove both LR and PS from your system then use the CC Cleaner Tool to get rid of everything adobe and then reinstall.

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the exact version of both LR and PS.

Please go to the Help menu item in both program and select System Info and post the first 3-4 lines of what it reports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Just Shoot Me, for your quick response and on New Years Day to boot!

LR

Lightroom Classic version: 7.1 [ 1148620 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en-US

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.12.6 [16G1114]

PS

Adobe Photoshop Version: 19.0 20171103.r.190 2017/11/03: 1143799  x64

Number of Launches: 5

Operating System: Mac OS 10.12.6

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:158, Stepping:9 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 4

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 4200 MHz

Built-in memory: 32768 MB

Free memory: 20114 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 30076 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually you are one version behind the most current version of OS X. You are running Sierra 10.12.x  and Apple released High Sierra 10.13 some time ago and has updated that 2 times since it was released.

But I don't think that has anything to do with your problem.

If you have PS open when you use the Edit In option in LR does the image open in PS?

Recently no one has reported this problem, other than you IIRC. This was a problem about a year ago but was fixed in an update to LR CC 2015/6.

In LR open the Preferences and go to the Performance tab and if the option to use the GPU is turned on turn it off and do a test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct I have not updated to high sierra yet. Was waiting to make sure the bugs were worked out.

Ok, the GPU option was disabled and edit in PS still did not work. I tried launching with PS already open and still ps gives me a blank screen. Does not work if I launch from LR either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "I tried launching with PS already open and still PS gives me a blank screen".

Do you mean you try to OPEN and image using File Open in PS and the image still doesn't show up in the PS program.

the only thing I can suggest is to completely remove both LR and PS from your system then use the CC Cleaner Tool to get rid of everything adobe and then reinstall.

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes sorry, I meant edit in ps from lightroom. PS is working fine on it's own. I will do as you suggest with Creative Cloud Cleaner tool and see if that fixes things. Again thank you for taking the time to help me on a holiday. It is very kind of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Best of luck. Happy holidays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again, Just Shoot Me. Your solution (Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool) worked like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dear,

After running adobe cleaner and reinstalling PS and LR they are once again not playing nice. I can no longer edit in PS from LR.

Any ideas on what may be causing this? I did quit the programs last night and tried to use them again this morning and the same problem as before occurred.

Now what?

Thank you in advance for you help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where on your system are your images stored? On a local drive, IE one that is connected directly to the computer you are running LR and PS on, or on some type of networked drive or other computer on your network?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again for your prompt response. The applications live on my  IMac on the hard drive. The images (because I am a professional photographer and have 10's of 1000's of images live on my Drobo 5 Raid system which is connected to my Imac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it is a problem with the Drobo 5 RAID system. Probably some type of permissions problem. For PS to open the file or for LR to send the file to PS your username must have Read & Write permissions on that RAID drive/folder/files.

There has been other reports of problems with these RAID system and LR/PS.

I suggest you keep your current project files on your iMac internal drive. When you are done editing move them, through/using LR, over to the RAID drive array for long term storage.

Lets do a test. Shoot some images around your house/office. Import them into LR and have LR place them in a folder on the iMac internal drive.

Once the import is done take one and send it to PS with the Edit In option. I bet it open without any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I will give that a try. It will be cumbersome to be sure though as I work on different catalogs on a daily basis and moving them back and forth off the drobo will be difficult. If this is the issue do you see a way to correct the permissions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my honest opinion you should only have one catalog and separate jobs/projects by folders, dated or named for the client, keywords or collections.

Having more than one catalog in LR is counter productive, IMHO.

If you want to have a new TEMP catalog for a New project you are currently working on that is fine but then when that project is done that TEMP catalog should be merged into your Master catalog.

Also in my opinion that RAID system should mainly be used for backups of your files and long term storage of project that are done and over with.

If the internal drive in your iMac isn't big enough to hold all the project you are currently working on you should get a single USB 3 drive to import to. Then make a backup of the images to the RAID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are probably correct in that there should be a master library but with the 10 years of shooting and the need to go back in and re-edit images from prior shoots the library with be massive and unworkable. I must keep the 100+ galleries create each year separate as each one contains 1000+ images or more. I wish my projects were over and done with but as a surface designer and managing my stock library the catalogs are never idle for long. I am continually going back into them and tweaking and changing images.

I have two drobos with 60+ TB of storage I am working from.

I will take a look on the drobo forums to see if I can find some answers there as well.

The odd thing is that this is suddenly a new issue. Only a few days old. I wish I knew what happened to cause it.

Thank you again for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you by chance have a OS X update recently. Apple is famous for making updates to OS X change permissions on all drives connected to Mac computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not updated to high sierra and it would have been a while ago as far as updating Sierra.

I wonder if apple disc repair will correct the permissions. I won’t have a chance to try this until later but I hope I can fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the Drobo have some type of system that it can do updates on its own. Sorry I've never used one of those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this Drobo connected directly to your computer through a USB or Thunderbolt port or is it on a LAN (Network) connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could also be the drivers for that Drobo system. I'm clutching at straws here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thunderbolt . I will see if there are updated I need to do to the drinks. I will also shut them down and restart etc to see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barbara, did you manage to get to the bottom of this problem?

Ive also tried all the suggested fixes with no luck.

Everything was working perfectly until i downloaded the latest lightroom update

many thanks

A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, It is working now but I had to reinstall both LR and PS to make it work. I also unplugged my computer while after shutting it down and oddly that was the thing that seemed to make it start working. Was not working after the reinstallation of the programs.

Fingers crossed it keeps working.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines