• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

editing keywords

Explorer ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been gradually building up my key words under the recommended classification system. One heading under the Where category is Places.  However that has built up considerably as might be expected. I am therefore thinking of subdividing it Under Countries and Cities and thus under Cities I  would have City Places. However would that work in practice.  Would that generate  say under an entry London, all of the "places" in London? How would that be constructed in practice?  Do I have to be be more specific about the contents of "Places" eg restaurants. in order to generate London Restaurants as a class? Curently my"Places" consist of a hodge podge of names and locations.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to express my opinion that this is not a good thing to do.

Cities and countries form a natural hierarchy, and in my mind, it is not a good thing to break that hierarchy, and can lead to confusion or extra work in the future. In particular, if you have London under the United Kingdom in the proper hierarcy, then any time you give a photo a keyword of London, it automatically receives the United Kingdom keyword as well. If you split these up, then you could have a photo where it is assigned the London keyword but not the United Kingdom keyword, and this is illogical. And it's twice as much work to assign a London keyword and a United Kingdom keyword when the hierachy doesn't exist (and with that, opportunities to forget or make mistakes creep in)

My Places (mostly in the USA) consist of child keywords that are all countries, and under each country, I have the child keyword of states, and under state I often have child keywords that are counties, and then comes cities, and under that even specific locations in a city.

Similarly, restaurants do NOT form a natural hierarchy with cities and countries, and should be a separate keyword, or perhaps in a hierarchy of building keywords. If you need to search for London Restaurants, this is done via the Filter Bar or Smart Collections, rather than creating a London Restauarants keyword.

Curently my"Places" consist of a hodge podge of names and locations.

The solution, in my mind, is to make your keywords more logical and well-ordered, rather than less logical and less well-ordered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

di Paige. Thanks for your opinion. That is exactly what I am seeking.  I saw restaurants as places in the hierarchy.of locations which is why I chose that as an example. For me places would be places of interest to me personally from a street market  to a library.or concert hall. I have no experience yet with smart collections or the filter bar. The golden gate bridge is a tourist attraction for good reason like the grand canyon or some particular spot there.I threw them all together as a simple ! ie check this out . What should I be doing?

One extra thing.that I may have gotten wrong. I have listed London as a city under a parent #Cities Thus it has not been programmed in as a subheading under country. Cities are subsidiaries of Countries is  where they should be put. Though to me the Country list consists of a list of countries. I don't how to express the subsidiarity relationship between Cities and Countries except that they are both places Have I explained my problem adequately? I keep thinking that tthere is a need for expressing the relationships of the parent structures but can't see how to do it

Thanks

Sockit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make your keywords hierarchical (I can't tell if you are doing this or not)

https://www.creative-photographer.com/hierarchical-keywords-lightroom/

I do not use continent names, unlike the example at that link. I have a pretty good grasp of which country is on which continent, and I don't really have a lot of international photos anyway. Nevertheless, if you do have a lot of international travel photos, you may want to use continent names as child keywords of Places, and then later, for example, you can call up photos of all churches in Africa.

I do not have a "Cities" parent keyword, nor do I have a "Countries" parent keyword. Country names are child keywords under Places. State names are child keywords under country names in the USA, in other countries I just have city names as child keywords under country names. A portion of my keyword hierarchy:

Buildings

Restaurants

Schools

Stadiums

Theatres

Places

Great Britain

Bath

London

Penzance

United States

New York

Buffalo

Rochester

Syracuse

Pennsylvania

Erie

Warren

Note that this can be as flexible as you need it to be. Note that I have never visited Leicester, and so it is not my list of cities in Great Britain, but if I ever did visit Leicester, it would take 10 seconds or less to add it into the proper place in the above. Similarly, if I spent a lot of time in the UK, I might want to start adding the region (East Midlands) to the hierarchy and then place all towns of that region as a child keyword (as I have done for the states in the USA), again this is relatively simple to do and infinitely flexible, as your needs require.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DJ-Paige

Thanks for that description. I can see how I have strayed,

sockit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I do not try to duplicate information in keywords that is already in tags in the metadata. This includes location information which I add to all photos. I'm lazy; this reduces the amount of keywording I need to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. I will do that. My problem is that this is old material without geotagging etc I am probably doing too much and I need to quit.

Sockit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines