• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edits in Lightroom Do Not Show in Photoshop or Bridge

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2019 (monthly subscription) with everything up to date. My problem is that none of the edits I make in Lightroom are showing in other Adobe programs such as Photoshop or Bridge.

I have checked the box in Lightroom --> Catalog Settings --> Metadata,  "automatically write changes into Metadata" and I have tried manually writing metadata to files with edits by right clicking and selecting that option.

I have restarted the programs and attempted different types of light, color transformation corrections in Lightroom (each time writing the metadata to the file) but none show in other Adobe programs.

What am I doing wrong? If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Michael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

michaelsgoldman  wrote

I also tried working with a jpg and tiff as a test. The jpg immediately updated in bridge to reflect my edits in Lightroom as soon as I "saved metadata to file." The tiff did not though.

Both JPEG and TIFF should update automatically in Bridge after manual or automatic 'Save Metadata to File' XMP update inside LR. Check the below settings and then close both LR and Bridge and restart your system. Just be aware that when using the LR 'Automatically write changes into XMP' set

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of images are these? RAW or JPEG? If these are JPEG or TIFF images, then the edits will only show in Photoshop if you let Photoshop use Camera Raw for opening JPEG's and TIFF's. That is an option in the Camera Raw Preferences.

Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 23.40.27.jpg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried working with a jpg and tiff as a test.

The jpg immediately updated in bridge to reflect my edits in Lightroom as soon as I "saved metadata to file."

The tiff did not though. Also, I don't see an option to open the tiff in camera raw when I right click on it in Bridge. My camera raw settings are the same as in Johan's screen grab.

So are jpgs the only file type that allow you to see Lightroom edits in other adobe apps? Are there any lossless file types that would do the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Bridge, don't you have the 'File - Open in Camera Raw' menu?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

michaelsgoldman  wrote

I also tried working with a jpg and tiff as a test. The jpg immediately updated in bridge to reflect my edits in Lightroom as soon as I "saved metadata to file." The tiff did not though.

Both JPEG and TIFF should update automatically in Bridge after manual or automatic 'Save Metadata to File' XMP update inside LR. Check the below settings and then close both LR and Bridge and restart your system. Just be aware that when using the LR 'Automatically write changes into XMP' setting there could be a delay in updating the develop metadata. Try CTRL/CMD + S keys in the Develop module to update the metadata immediately.

LR Catalog Settings

Bridge Camera Raw Preferences

michaelsgoldman  wrote

Also, I don't see an option to open the tiff in camera raw when I right click on it in Bridge. My camera raw settings are the same as in Johan's screen grab.

This is most likely due to one or more of the above settings not set properly or corruption of the Bridge Preferences file. If the issue remains after checking the settings and restarting your system then reset the Bridge Preferences file and purge the cache as outlined at the below link:

Troubleshoot Adobe Bridge for freezes and performance issues

When working properly you should see a camera raw icon in the upper right-hand corner of the Bridge thumbnail. double-clicking that icon will launch it in ACR and the right-click and File> Open in Camera Raw selections should also be available.

Bridge LR Edit.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purged the cache and reset the preference file as you recommended. Edits on jpgs and tiffs from Lightroom now show up in Bridge as expected and the "Open in camera raw" is now available. However the original file (in both jpg and tiff versions) that I did my initial testing with, still does not work correctly. I guess that file is corrupted.

If I try to save a new file from that corrupted file, then import it into Lightroom it applies the already existing edits on the original corrupted file, no matter what new name I give it or type of file format I save it in. Also, if I remove the original corrupted file from Lightroom and try to add it again, it thinks it is a duplicate. I reset the preferences and purged the cache from Lightroom as well, but that did not fix the problem for that specific file. Any ideas? If not thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

michaelsgoldman  wrote

If I try to save a new file from that corrupted file, then import it into Lightroom it applies the already existing edits on the original corrupted file, no matter what new name I give it or type of file format I save it in.

This is the expected behavior when using the settings in my reply # 8 above. The LR Develop settings have been saved to the file's XMP data and when you make a copy that same metadata is written into the new file. When the new file is opened in LR you will see those same Develop edits applied automatically.

michaelsgoldman  wrote

Also, if I remove the original corrupted file from Lightroom and try to add it again, it thinks it is a duplicate.

How did you remove it and are you sure there isn't a duplicate already in the LR catalog? In the LR Library module's left side 'Catalog' panel select 'All Photographs.' In the Filter bar select Text> Filename> Contains> and enter the exact filename with extension (EX-IMG_0123.jpg). Make sure these are the file copies you want removed, select all of them, hit the Delete key, and select 'Remove.' Try reimporting that one JPEG file you think is corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh right the metadata was written into the file, makes sense it would apply the same edits. And yes there was another copy I had missed, so Lightroom was correct in thinking it was a duplicate.

Thanks Again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help. Bridge 2019 implemented a number of changes. Just be on the lookout if other strange things happen.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add what Johan has written, you need to be aware that edits in many kinds of docuemnts are not visible OUTSIDE Lightroom until you actually render them. So if you have say a TIFF or JPEG and apply edits in LR, but then open that JPEG or TIFF in Bridge or Photoshop, the edits are only applied within the metadata and not the actual image data. Only once you use LR to export that to a new JPEG or TIFF will the edits be applied and then you will see those edits in Bridge or PS. Or as shown above, open them from LR into Photoshop via the ACR settings seen. ACR then applies the edits, akin to Export from LR.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for the tips. I am working with PSD files, but looks like those cannot be opened in camera raw…

To clarify, If I make edits in Lightroom and save the metadata to the file, it is impossible to see those edits in another adobe program without exporting a new file with the edits baked in. Is that correct? In that case I guess I had misinterpreted what I read about setting up a workflow between Lightroom and Photoshop…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

michaelsgoldman  wrote

To clarify, If I make edits in Lightroom and save the metadata to the file, it is impossible to see those edits in another adobe program without exporting a new file with the edits baked in. Is that correct?

Correct. The metadata might be in the catalog, might be saved in the files but NOT burned into the existing pixels yet.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

michaelsgoldman  wrote

Thank you both for the tips. I am working with PSD files, but looks like those cannot be opened in camera raw

This is a long standing bug that has been confirmed by Adobe Staff James Lockman at the below post. You can add your 'Me To' vote and 'Follow.'

Bridge: Clear Settings does not work with PSD FIles | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is NOT happening - any Edits in LRC are not showing up in Bridge.  The images are all exported from LRC as jpg, but the LRC processing is not showing in Bridge.  In LRC, Catalog Settings> Metadata  has Offer suggestion, Include Devl settings, Auto write -- are all checked -- but when I looked at the files in Bridge, no LRC corrections are seen.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct me if I am wrong in my understanding-

1) You edit any photo in LrC, making changes to Basic Adjustments, cropping, etc.

2) You 'Export' this photo with "Image Format" as [JPG]  to create a new derivative JPG file.

3) This new file/photo does not look like the edits done in LrC!

Are you sure you are selecting the "JPG" option in the Export, (or possibly as 'Original') ?

And are you looking at the new file/photo in Bridge (and NOT the 'original' photo) ?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -
this is from 2019, but, yes -- I teach digital photo & use LRC & Bridge. My students have been exporting RAW files as jpgs -- but their corrections are NOT seen in my Bridge. I've sent them that attachment. I don't advise import as DNG,
--I've had my students export as jpg - -we look at their images up on their Google site which requires jpg and turn them in as jpg in Canvas. I don't have the same problems with students using Photoshop/Camera RAW & viewing the corrections on Bridge. thank you

Feb 07, 2019 02:27 PM in Lightroom Classic
Re: Edits in Lightroom Do Not Show in Photoshop or Bridge

Correct me if I am wrong in my understanding-

1) You edit any photo in LrC, making changes to Basic Adjustments, cropping, etc.

2) You 'Export' this photo with "Image Format" as [JPG] to create a new derivative JPG file.

3) This new file/photo does not look like the edits done in LrC!

Are you sure you are selecting the "JPG" option in the Export, (or possibly as 'Original') ?

And are you looking at the new file/photo in Bridge (and NOT the 'original' photo) ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...students have been exporting RAW files as jpgs..."

Can you post a screen-clip of the Export dialog, especially showing the File-Type setting?

Are they exporting JPG files 'FROM' the raw files? Or exporting THE raw file?

I guess more details are needed to understand the workflow.

"I've sent them that attachment."

What "attachment"? What are you referring to?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI - thank you

the 'Attachment' i was referring to was this one in the above discussions

Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 08, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom & Bridge.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still struggling to understand your problem!

Here is what I understand- (sorry for long explanations!)

1) If you 'Export' any photo to a JPG in the Lightroom-Classic Export dialog, the resulting JPG file is a totally 'New' file with the Lr edits baked into the pixels of the new image. There is no XMP editing metadata saved within this new file that will show as Camera Raw 'Edits' anywhere else. Neither in Lightroom, nor in ACR, nor anywhere else.

2) Your screen-clip is taken from the Camera Raw Preferences of Photoshop, and the setting [Always open JPEGs with settings] is only a direction to 'Open' JPGs into the ACR window before you see the image 'Open' in the Photoshop document window.  It does not mean you will see any 'XMP Settings' in a JPG you have Exported from Lr, -because there are none! as noted in (1.

Any JPG exported from Lightroom will show ALL the sliders in ACR as zero - no adjustments.

3) When you 'open' a JPG file in Photoshop (NOT by Lightroom), and the Ps-Preference option then 'Opens' the JPG in the ACR window- you can make edits in the Camera Raw settings, and when you choose [Done] - those edits ARE saved into the Metadata of the JPG file-

BUT importantly- You will NOT see these ACR edits when viewing this JPG in any way (such a Google, Instagram, Facebook, etc) except when viewed in Adobe software that can 'read' the XMP data- Namely Bridge, ACR, and Lightroom.

ie. Edits made to a JPG with ACR are not baked permanently into the pixels of the file until it is exported from Photoshop as a 'new' JPG file (when again- there will be no ACR edit metadata to show).

Maybe some screen-clips:

1)  I 'Open' a JPG in Photoshop from Windows File Explorer

ScreenShot205.jpg

2) The file opens in the ACR interface and I apply some edits (Red pepper goes Green!)

ScreenShot204.jpg

3) I click on [Done] and the ACR edits are written into the JPG XMP Metadata. Bridge recognises the XMP metadata and shows as this-

ScreenShot209.jpg

4) But in File Explorer, (or anywhere other than ACR) the JPG image still appears as-

ScreenShot211.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI - yes, I understand that the LR corrections should be 'baked' in the jpg...but for some reason the corrections baked into the jpg are not showing up in Bridge.   right??  I don't get it either - the corrections made from Addobe Camera RAW show up in Bridge.  I was thinking it could be the LR class are horrible at color correction , but some of them are the same students in the Photoshop/Camera RAW class -- and many of the the images I have them correct are the same images...   ya, i know...

thank you for all your help, maybe a glitch somewhere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the corrections baked into the jpg are not showing up in Bridge. right??

A mystery! With your competency and your understanding I will leave it to you to investigate further 🙂

I hope you find an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines