• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edits not transferred when moving lightroom 5.7 from old computer to new computer

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom 5.7 came with a disc. I have the disc, redemption code  and serial number.

I recently purchased a new computer and took the old and new computer in to a technician to transfer data from the old to the new computer.

He assured me that I would get a mirror image transfer from old to new. That did not happen.

My lightroom folders transferred over and I can open every folder, access every image but all edits that I had made are missing.He had to put Lightroom in F drive because I have 250+G of photos.

I have the old computer drive and tower.

I want to return all to the tech to be able to access the edited images but I want to be able to tell the tech exactly what steps to do to get back the edited images

Thank you,

Bob Kelly

ualcaptret@aol.com 

How do I accomplish this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Your technician knows nothing about Lightroom and got it all wrong. In particular, this is absurd: "He had to put Lightroom in F drive because I have 250+G of photos."

Please start over with the photos on the old computer and follow these instructions exactly as they are written. Do not add your own steps or skip steps. So I repeat, follow the instructions exactly as written. In particular, make sure you follow these words exactly "Don’t be tempted to remove the missing photos and re-import". DO

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your technician knows nothing about Lightroom and got it all wrong. In particular, this is absurd: "He had to put Lightroom in F drive because I have 250+G of photos."

Please start over with the photos on the old computer and follow these instructions exactly as they are written. Do not add your own steps or skip steps. So I repeat, follow the instructions exactly as written. In particular, make sure you follow these words exactly "Don’t be tempted to remove the missing photos and re-import". DO NOT IMPORT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a little bit about NTFS formatted drives in the very useful link above posted by dj_paige.

I am using a Mac and I have had success formatting with Tuxera Disk Manager for small usb flash drives and larger volumes if that is any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason the technician used F drive is because my new computer  Dell 3671 has dual drives, C drive solid state has 256 G and F drive has 1 T space. My lightroom files are over 250G. He said the smaller SSD is for start up items.

I copied your instructions to page 5 where it says "Thats It". I will give these to the technician.

How should the technician handle the C vs F drive problem?

Can you also e mail me your answer at ualcaptret@aol.com

Thank you 

Bob Kelly

Thank you for your help.

Bob Kelly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost everyone puts the software on the C: drive. The catalog file should go on the C: drive, if there are not space issues. Otherwise, the catalog file will have to go on the F: drive. The photos can go on the F: drive.

No, I do not send private e-mails to people. All correspondence is done in the public forum, so everyone can potentially benefit from the answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Please tell me how to come back to your responses. I had to go through many pages from the newest to find your answers.

Please tell me exactly what steps to do after I get on Adobe Suppory Community and click on how to, to arrive where we are now.

This is the first time I have been on this forum and I do not know the ropes.

Thanks Again

Bob Kelly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You click on the "avatar" you selected (looks like the face of a bear to me) at the top right of the screen. Then select "My profile" and you will see links to your most recent comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. Thank you

I took all instructions you provided into the technician next week and will let you know if he successfully transferred lightroom from old to new computer including metadata and edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went in and talked to the technician. He read all my and your posts.

It seems like there was some issues when data was being transferred from the old computer to the new computer. It  had to do with encreption and bit locker problems and now the old drive is encrepted and they would have to send out the old drive and would cost $700 to $800 to fix the problem. They cannot go back and start all over.

I have all my folders and I can go to any image and develop and print it.

What is missing is all my edits.

Is there any way these whiz kids can retrieve my edited images without the old drive? If they can they will need a step by step guide.

Or should I just run away as fast as I can?.

Thank you again for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone has the time to reply to mt query of 25 Oct I would appreciate it 

Thank you,

Bob Kelly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you did the encrypting, it sounds like a scam to me.

To restore your 'edits' you need the Catalog file (Your Catalog Name.LRCAT)

If you do not have a working version of this Catalog from the failed drive (or from another backup drive) then I am sorry to say that all your edits have gone ("down the spout").

You might pay the $700 to restore the Catalog, but often this (a restored catalog)  is NOT successful so a wasted $700.

Lesson learned- Make Backups to other drives- Start over again.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I have all my folders and I can go to any image and develop and print it. What is missing is all my edits."

If you cannot retrieve the Lightroom catalog file that was on the old computer, then the edits are gone. That's where they were stored. They were not stored in any other place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines