• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Email from Adobe re discontinued Lightroom version

New Here ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand the recent email I received from Adobe saying I was using Lightroom Classic 6.12 and may be liable for potential claims of infringement from third parties - when I am using the latest update 8.2.1... is this a scam?

S

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

See this topic in the official Adobe feedback forum: Older versions of Creative Cloud apps no longer available for download | Photoshop Family Customer Community . To avoid splintering into multiple threads, please continue all discussion there.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this topic in the official Adobe feedback forum: Older versions of Creative Cloud apps no longer available for download | Photoshop Family Customer C... . To avoid splintering into multiple threads, please continue all discussion there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is my version is current ...

S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you bought or upgraded LR 6, then it's still yours to use: that is what a perpetual license means.

Taking up a CC plan, or not, has no bearing whatever, on whatever's going on around your registered LR6. Adobe cannot assume you are not still using the LR6 as well / instead, installed on up to 2 computers, as you would be fully entitled to.

Could be a scam I suppose, or it could simply be a routine protective notification: provided it is without any embedded links, you could maybe post here the relevant text from the email you've received; or a screengrab of the relevant part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Valued Customer,
At Adobe, we always strive to deliver more value to our customers, including much requested new features and capabilities, critical bug fixes and security updates. For these reasons we recommend all customers use the latest release of our Creative Cloud applications.
We have recently discontinued certain older versions of Creative Cloud applications and as a result, under the terms of our agreement, you are no longer licensed to use them. Our records show that you may be using the following version(s) of these applications.
LIGHTROOM CLASSIC:6.12
Please be aware that should you continue to use the discontinued version(s), you may be at risk of potential claims of infringement by third parties.
Please upgrade to the latest version(s) using the instructions below. By upgrading, you will continue to receive all the value that Creative Cloud has to offer.
Here’s what to do next:
  • For the simplest experience, download and install the latest version of the applications listed above using the Creative Cloud Desktop application
  • If you do not have the Creative Cloud Desktop application, you can download and install it here.
  • For detailed instructions on how to use the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click here.
  • You can also download and install these applications (after signing in) from Adobe.com here.
Should you have any difficulties, Adobe’s Customer Support organization is available to answer any questions about upgrading your Creative Cloud software. Please contact them here. Finally, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Regards,
The Adobe Team

Again - I am using Adobe CC with the latest version of Lightroom Classic ... 8.2.1

S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bomb in this Adobe email is ... "Please be aware that should you continue to use the discontinued version(s), you may be at risk of potential claims of infringement by third parties."

It's one thing to no longer support an older version of software.  But this sentence implies potential legal risk if you continue to keep using the older version.

The obvious reading is that the earlier version of the software includes some licensed tech/code that Adobe no longer has the rights to and is not in the new versions of the software.  (Hopefully Adobe will offer clarification?)

For many professional users this is disastrous.  It’s not unusual to be on projects that last 1-2 years (broadcast packages, special venue project graphics and titles, etc), and of course it is a huge no-no to upgrade to new software version mid project.

Lawyers for one of the shops I currently work for are frantically digging into this (and are very concerned).  For two LA shops this was the last nail in the coffin and they are dropping AE and Premiere Pro and moving to more "professional" apps like NUKE and AVID.   All since last Friday …

Maybe Adobe is going the way of Apple … the “professional” market is no longer a priority for them and most of their profits come from casual users, students and hobbyists?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the discussion in the official Adobe feedback forum: Older versions of Creative Cloud apps no longer available for download | Photoshop Family Customer C... . It has clearer explanations of the situation from people who have inside lines to Adobe (Laura Shoe, Victoria Bampton, Prodesign Tools).

Also, Adobe product developers and marketers won't see your feedback here, which is primarily user-to-user. But product developers read everything posted in the official feedback forum and sometimes engage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://kinja.com/api/profile/getsession?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fgizmodo.com%2Fsetsession%3Fr%3Dhttps...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sdg1 wrote:

... For two LA shops this was the last nail in the coffin and they are dropping AE and Premiere Pro and moving to more "professional" apps like NUKE and AVID.   All since last Friday …

Well, guess that could be argued as a questionable move, since something very similar was announced by Avid in late March:

Changes to Avid Media Composer Licenses in 2019

"Due to licensing reasons, Avid will be updating Media Composer licenses and subscriptions, which will impact the software versions that you can run. Beginning May 30th, 2019, new perpetual and subscription licenses will only be able to run Media Composer version 2018.9 or higher. In addition, existing subscriptions will only be able to run Media Composer 2018.9 or higher upon renewal."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting re Avid - wonder if the same sub-licensing issues are at play, and wonder if the shops I'm thinking of are aware of it.  I know several of the editors at one of the shops and their general consensus is that while they really like some of the features in Premiere Pro, they consider AVID to be more stable, esp when it comes to version updates.

Guess I have some phone calls to make tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And another shop switched from AE to Nuke today ...

I'm on the periphery of the professional editing world so I can't speak confidently to the Avid situation.  But I'm neck deep in the higher end vfx and titles compositing world. 

All three companies that are abandoning AE said basically the same thing ... this was just the last straw for them.  They are concerned that Adobe is not serious about the high end professional market.  Besides not supporting a software version for at least two years, another common complaint is that several Adobe features require connection to the internet, and the subscription service requires periodic connections to the internet.  This is just not realistic in the pro market ...  An example why - any shop doing vfx or titles work on a Marvel or Disney project (film or TV) has to pass rigorous security protocols, one of which is no internet access on artists' computers or network.  Seems like Photoshop is the only Adobe app they're keeping for the texture and matte painting seats.

It is what it is ... the people who hire me make these decisions so it's time for me to stop talking and start brushing up on Nuke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the update. Appreciate your taking the time to circle back and share your experiences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines