Embedded ICC PROFILE

Engaged ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Mac book retinal pro  Sierra all up to date

Using Photoshop/Lightroom cc subsription all up to date

On exporting a Jpeg and sRGB chosen in the export, I am getting the following prompt when trying to upload an photographic image to a photographic competition website, no one else on the particular website has this problem.

Nobody has been able to help me with this issue

Has anyone seen this before ??

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 6.25.30 pm.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-31 at 6.30.11 pm.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please upload a sample exported JPEG that has the problem to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here.  We can double-check that it contains an ICC profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for comment, here is the imageFly Agaric Mushroom -.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Jeffrey Friedl's Online Metadata Reader:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your settings for the Metadata panel on the Export page:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply

It was sent with 'Metadata' ticked Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 7.36.59 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things:

Even though the image WAS sent with the metadata ticked.... I still got the warning NO ICC PROFILE EMBEDDED

Sometimes you dont want the metadata ticked only copyright ...will this result in NO ICC PROFILE EMBEDDED also??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An ICC profile will always be embedded regardless of the Metadata export setting.

Are you sure the photo you posted was exported from LR with the settings as shown in your first post?  I used Exiftool to examine the metadata of the sample you posted.  It has almost no metadata, and a few of the fields are ones that LR doesn't insert.

I suggest trying the export from LR again (triple-checking the export settings) and then, rather than posting it here, upload it to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here. (I suggested this method before because some forum software mangles photo metadata.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply

I don't have dropbox ( I am not good with technology!) ...is there another way to share the image rather than dragging into this post?

Yes I am sure I exported from LR with the above settings

Would it be because I have 'DEFAULT' selected in the Metadata in LR?Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 11.32.08 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox and Google Drive are free to use -- you just sign up for an account.  I don't know of any options that are simpler, unfortunately. 

The options in the Metadata panel control what fields iare displayed in the panel  -- they don't affect the embedded ICC color profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does affect the embedded ICC ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Color Space setting in the export window's File Settings panel determines which color space is embedded:

But if you've selected Image Format: JPEG, then you should always get an ICC profile embedded in the exported JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this issue been on Adobe forums before?

Is there anything else I can do to right this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photofan731  wrote

Has this issue been on Adobe forums before?

I can't find any posts with this specific issue (JPEG Export file without an embedded ICC profile). That doesn't mean others haven't experienced the issue! Most exports to JPEG file format are assigned sRGB profile and most applications and the Web assume sRGB profile if the file has no embedded color profile. So in most cases you wouldn't be aware of the issue.

photofan731  wrote

Is there anything else I can do to right this issue?

Try resetting your LR Preferences file as outlined below and see if that resolves the issue. Rename the file Lightroom 6 Preferences.agprefs.OLD so you can easily restore it if the issue persists.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarfy :

Does Lightroom CC embedd a ICC profile ?

Photoshop has an 'embbed ICC Profile'  tick box when exporting so, If I am saving a TIFF to LR and 'not exporting out of PS' does the ICC profile embedd into the file during this process??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photofan731  wrote

Just to clarfy :

Does Lightroom CC embedd a ICC profile ?

ALL of LR's output modules embed an ICC Profile, including Export, Book, Slideshow, Print, and Web modules. I'm not aware of any way to prevent embedding an ICC color profile. It is possible that a corrupted LR Preferences file may cause that to happen, but your posted dandelion-6473.jpg LR export file has an embedded ICC Profile. It's not likely anything is wrong.

photofan731  wrote

Photoshop has an 'embbed ICC Profile'  tick box when exporting so, If I am saving a TIFF to LR and 'not exporting out of PS' does the ICC profile embedd into the file during this process??

That tick box only applies to the PS Export output operations. For the 'Edit in PS' Save operation the ICC Profile is always embedded. The PS Save As operation has an embed ICC Profile check box that by default is checked. You would have to manually uncheck it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your reply

I am now relieved to know that I am doing the right thing

I have taken the issue up with photographic club

king regards

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back to stage one!

A friend upload my image to test the photographic website and did not have a problem (not a Mac user)

I did the same and got the 'no embedded ICC profile'

Any suggestions please- using MacBook Pro 13 inch Version 10.12.5 MacOS Sierra all up to date

Photoshop Lightroom CC all up to date

Must be something from my computer

Any suggestions welcome

Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 10.28.32 am.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-03 at 10.22.35 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to be the same file that we determined is missing an embedded color profile, correct? If that's the case there is something different with the way your friend's (Windows system) file upload and your (Mac system) file upload are being processed. It could be system local or happening on the upload server side.

Rather than trouble-shoot that issue it would be much simpler to try uploading the dandelion-6473.jpg file. I confirmed that file has an embedded sRGB color profile in reply #18. If it causes the same error message you will need to upload the dandelion-6473.jpg file to Dropbox or other file sharing site so that we can determine what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tried as you advised ...I uploaded the dandelion -6473.jpeg on the comp site resized as  I would normally do

I got the yellow prompt again. I am sorry but  I don't have Drop Box. Any advise on the next step?

Dandelion1-6473.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a Free account on Dropbox to upload the file. Make it public and post the link in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a case of not just the lack of an embedded profile, but rather - as John noted above - in the image posted here there is an almost total lack of metadata although the OP says that the Export dialog was set to include most metadata. Even such basic Exif information as camera maker and model or capture date has been stripped. This makes me wonder what happened to the file after it was written by LR. I have heard of ISPs that strip metadata to narrow bandwidth and shorten upload time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some ideas about what's going on:

- LR's Export command did not generate the photo posted above -- it was generated by some other software.  (The photo above is in big-endian byte order, whereas LR writes JPEGs in little-endian byte order. The photo above has JFIF fields, whereas LR Export doesn't add JFIF fields. The photo above is missing an embedded ICC profile and the XMP fields that LR always adds. The photo above is missing an APP14 segment that LR always adds.)

- It's possible this forum's software has modified the posted photo.  Older versions of the forum software did modify photos, but my current testing indicates it no longer does.  But maybe it does sometimes.  Uploading an exported photo to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar would eliminate this possibility.

- Much more likely is that an app other than LR somewhere in the workflow is modifying the photo, or photofan731 is accidentally picking up the wrong version of the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for helping everyone, would be lovely to get to the end of this issue

Ok last try, here is an original image

a screen shot of the metadata

a screen shot from 'Mac Preview' of metadata

Does this help?

Would resetting the LR preferences help?dandelion-6473.jpgScreen Shot 2017-06-02 at 4.23.16 pm.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-02 at 4.24.05 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines