• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

embedded preview in library VS. darker image in development

Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How come I can see the 'embedded preview' when importing my images, but if I want to develop the image, I can no longer see and work on the preview?

The screen on my camera and the embedded preview in my library have the same lighting, but when I want to develop them, I can suddenly only edit a darker version of the image.

I find this very strange because this adjustment happened recently, while before there used to be no difference between my image in the import and the development phase. So I think I could develop the embedded preview previously, which isn't the case anymore.

Does anyone have an idea to adjust this again?

Thank you in advance!  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Hi Todd, I have a Nikon D850. I recently reset my camera back to factory settings. 

I looked around on the support community for similar problems and I discovered that when I go to the development area in LR, my profile was set on 'camera neutral'. The 'picture control' setting in my camera is set on Neutral as well.

However the images don't match, unless I put the profile in de development area in 'camera flat'. I know that this is not great and editing is necessary anyway but at least it matches

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What camera model and have you changed any of the in-camera settings recently. Camera lighting optimization settings are not read by LrC, but are applied to the raw file embedded preview. If set the file will look darker in the Develop module because it is not applied to the raw file data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd, I have a Nikon D850. I recently reset my camera back to factory settings. 

I looked around on the support community for similar problems and I discovered that when I go to the development area in LR, my profile was set on 'camera neutral'. The 'picture control' setting in my camera is set on Neutral as well.

However the images don't match, unless I put the profile in de development area in 'camera flat'. I know that this is not great and editing is necessary anyway but at least it matches the image on the back of my camera screen. So at least now I know where to start from. So I guess my question has been answered, thank you. 😅

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Nikon D850's Photo Shooting menu check the setting for Active D-Lighting. If it's set to ON you will see a difference between the embedded preview and camera JPEG compared to LrC Develop module. Set it to OFF if you want to match what you see in-camera to LrC exposure. You will then have to manually adjust the in-camera exposure setting based on scene lighting to get the same effect as Auto Active D-Lighting. I have lighting optimization settings turned OFF in all my cameras for this reason. Just an FYI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apparently it was OFF, but when deviations and changes like this happen it's educational to get to know your device and the software you work with better and not to take it for granted.

So I'll definitily try to play a bit more with the settings on my camera to see how that goes. Thanks for the advice in any case! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines