Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Erroneous lens correction for Sigma 14-24 dg dn in Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

has anybody observed that the lens profile of the Sigma 14-24 dg dn leads to a kind of overcorrection of vignetting at 14mm?

I have attached an image taken at 14mm, the automatic lens correction in Lightroom being enabled.

One can clearly observe a white area including a thin white curve in the left and right corner of the image which is kind of disturbing.

I hope Adobe is able to correct this issue soon.

Regards,

RomanSigma Objkorrektur-1.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the profile, it may be possible to turn down the 'strength' of its vignetting correction, using the lower slider in the Lens Corrections panel / Profile tab.

Perhaps this profile was generated using an individual copy of this lens which exhibits different behaviour than your own one does. In that case, there is always the option to generate a custom lens profile that is exactly corrective for your own actual lens and camera, using the toolkit supplied by Adobe and printing out the needed checkboard targets to scale. That's quite a bit of work and larger versions of the targets may be needed with such a lens. But if this is equipment you rely on a lot, a custom profile may be worthwhile.

Ultra wideangle lenses are quite subject to flare, reflections, shadowing etc so there may have been something else going on there too / instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the fast response.

Yes, it might be possible that the profile was generated with a lens copy behaving differently than my own lens.

Flares and reflections were not causing what I described, because the issue was also visible on photos which were not taken in the sun.

I now turned down the strength of the vignetting correction, and it seems that a value between 35-40 is the most fitting range for most photos given that I do not adjust the automatic LR correction for distortion.

It is only weird that individual copies of the Sigma lens would behave so differently with regard to vignetting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was speculating about the cause (unencumbered by actual facts 🙂 ). I only meant, some issue during creation of the profile, either with the lens itself or with the circumstances, might have lead to undesirable corrections then getting included. There may be no issue whatever with your own lens copy, or with your own shooting circumstances.

Glad turning down the vignette correction was of some help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it was indeed very helpful.

But I still hope that Adobe will still adjust the lens correction profile of the Sigma 14-24.

As Todd_Shaner suggested below, I will write a report of the issue at the Photoshop Family forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I hope Adobe is able to correct this issue soon."

To make that happen you'll need to report the issue at the Photoshop Family forum, which is monitored by Adobe Staff. Adobe had to create a v2 profile for the Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM lens due to a similar issue. Place a link to your report in a reply here for others with the same issue.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this hint. I was not aware that this is possible.

I will post the issue in the mentioned forum, then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines