• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error 16 - Can't open Lightroom

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to open Lightroom to finish a job and I get an error saying it's a configuration code and that I've got an "Error 16".  It's telling me to uninstall and reinstall the app, however, I'm in the middle of a large job and can't afford to lose the work I've put into it already.  I guess I have two questions... 

If I uninstall/reinstall, will I lose my work?  I've culled and have edited about 800 photos due for a wedding.  I haven't exported them yet.

My second question is this:

When looking for support on here, I found this post: Configuration error in Adobe Creative Cloud  When I went to follow the steps for the mac OS, I've had to stop due to not having an "SLStore" file in my library... I've searched around but haven't found anything remotely close to it.  If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!  I'm operating a mac OS X version 10.9.5 and am attempting to open Lightroom CC.

Thanks!

Tricia

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

i have experienced Error 16 on my Mac, and one idea to try is to open Terminal and copy/paste this command:

sudo chmod -R 777 /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe

Press Enter, and if asked, enter your password. You won't see the usual dots and the cursor won't move, but enter it anyway.

Since  the SLstore is there it will correct that for you. The command fixes the permissions for everything in the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have experienced Error 16 on my Mac, and one idea to try is to open Terminal and copy/paste this command:

sudo chmod -R 777 /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe

Press Enter, and if asked, enter your password. You won't see the usual dots and the cursor won't move, but enter it anyway.

Since  the SLstore is there it will correct that for you. The command fixes the permissions for everything in the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And looks like you did.   Put this in your Notes.app for future reference.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution (chmod -R 777...) worked for me after the Adobe advice about folder permissions and many other ideas were tried without luck. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sierra 10.12.3 I logged into Creative Cloud app on my desktop. Noticed there were updates for Lightroom. Error 16 went away after installing updates. fyi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this solution and it has no effect. I am running the latest version of lightroom in a standalone configuration, NOT lightroom CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Terminal answer does not work, another idea would be to use Disk Utility to repair your drive. providing this is OSX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There no more repairing permissions after Yosemite. I'm not sure what I did

but it works for now until from, my guess, it will fail again in a month or

two.

Le dim. 16 avr. 2017 à 12:33, gener7 <forums_noreply@adobe.com> a écrit :

Error 16 - Can't open Lightroom created by gener7

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/gener7> in Photoshop Lightroom - View

the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/9458205#9458205>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey TJam10​, edb70746493​, and philbast​!

Here's more information about Error 16 from this help document: Configuration error in Adobe Creative Cloud.

Please let us know if you still have issues with this error by replying back to this thread.

Thanks,

Melissa

Melissa Rios, Product Manager, Community Experiences & Platforms | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reset those permissions multiple times and the error comes back

after 2 to 4 weeks. I have a single app not a creative cloud licence.

Why would I need to set permission to folders for an app myself in the

first place? And why would they change? I have been using this app for

years! Also why do adobe single app( not CC) need to contact Adobe on a

regular basis through the internet?

Thank you.

Le mar. 18 avr. 2017 à 14:34, Melissa Rios <forums_noreply@adobe.com> a

écrit :

You have been mentioned

by Melissa Rios

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/axmelissarios1?et=notification.mention> *in

Re: Error 16 - Can't open Lightroom in Adobe Community* - View Melissa

Rios's reference to you

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/9462523?et=notification.mention#9462523>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After recent updates to CC problem cleared itself up. Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disk repair is not available after Yosemite because OS X (10.11 and 10.12)

takes care of file permissions itself. I am running 10.11

Le mar. 18 avr. 2017 à 14:35, axmelissarios1 <forums_noreply@adobe.com> a

écrit :

Error 16 - Can't open Lightroom

Melissa Rios

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/axmelissarios1?et=watches.email.outcome>

marked their reply on Error 16 - Can't open Lightroom

<https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2273615?et=watches.email.outcome> as

helpful. View the full reply

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/9462523?et=watches.email.outcome#9462523>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could find a solution for me (Lightroom CC 2015.10.1).

I only created a new SLStore directory and copied the *.lc2 file back into the new directory.

You can do it in Finder too, but I preferred to do it in a terminal session.

This is what I did:

1. cd /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe

2. mv SLStore SLStore_old

3. mkdir SLStore

4. cp SLStore_old/*.lc2 SLStore

5. chmod 666 SLStore/*.lc2

6. chmod 777 SLStore

7. start Lightroom (during the first start, it asks for re-licensing Lightroom. You just need to confirm).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked Malissa's suggested link, Configuration error in Adobe Creative Cloud, but it was not helpful because I could not find the SLStore and the Adobe PCD folders in Library/Application Support/Adobe/. So that was a non-starter. The folders might have disappeared with the last uninstall!

I am using LR6 on my Mac Pro and not through Creative Cloud.  I got error 16 several times and would really like to find a solution.  The last time was within the last 2 weeks and again today.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the Terminal fix I gave in the first reply?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had already reinstalled LR6 when I came across you post/solution.  I did not try it as it did not work for Philbast, who also uses LR as a standalone prog.  Also I have to confess that I am not a techie and only use the Terminal as a last resort in case I screw things up - and there would not be a way for me to know if it worked or not right now.

LR is working right now, but when I get error 16 again, as I certainly will, I shall try your solution.  It has worked for others, and might do the trick for me.  I shall post the result.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I admit that I do not know what lurks in other Macs even given the same model and OSX. It is why one idea works in one and fails in another.

Hope it turns out right for you should 16 rears its' ugly head.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what Adobe is doing in their installation and when running LR6 but they should clean up their act because resseting file permissions is illogical. File permissions don't change by themselves and should not be changed by running LR. On installing they should create the folders with the correct permissions for all user on a system to use LR. Installing software requires admin privileges, running software should not, that is a basic security tenet.

They last time I got this error, I could not even find the two folders in question. I then simply recreated them empty from the finder. I gave all LR folders starting with the Adobe folder and all sub folders in library all the permissions (read, write , execute) to all users and the admin group and admin user. Upon restarting LR it asked me for my licence and I entered it. Has been working since then. also the requirement that you have a account in Adobe cloud or that you need to be logging in Adobe cloud is also nonsensical for the LR local app. I realize that Adobe is pushing hard for all to sign up to the CC edition but cripling the standalone edition is not winning any goodwill.  Please excuse this rant but it come from a longtime Adobe customer (since LR 1 and photoshop element 6)   frustrated by recent experiences with LR6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you.  Almost two hours on chat to get a link to LR 5 (had to replace Mac) and error 16 after installation.  Like you, I've been a long time PS and LR but since I am not a professional photographer, and do not use the programs on a regular basis, I am not doing the monthly fee based.

And then the customer service or should I say lack of ........ very, very disappointed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is outrageous that Mac get you to Upgrade from Mojave to Catalina and don't advise you that other programmes won't work.  I have thousands of photos on an external Hard drive and was using LR6.12  .to organise and edit them. Now I can't load them and cannot access them without upgrading to Adobe Cloud.  I am not willing, as an amateur to pay £9.98 per month to keep photos in the Cloud.  This is a real scam and taking advantage of customers.  When Adobe sold me the LR6 upgrade as a standalone application they were only scamming you as you are forced to upgrade to LRCC if you want to access your photos.  I am sure many people cannot afford all these monthly instaments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I agree!  I am a hobbyist photographer and maybe used LR every 3-6 months (before COVID).  So I switched to ON1 and love it!  

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines