• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

error message "the file [x] is associated with another photo in the catalog"

Advisor ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved some photos around and want to relink them to a collection.  (I store my images on an external hard drive, and as needs have changed, have had to upgrade to larger hard drives and moved my images there.)  Typically I never have a problem relinking an image.  But I am getting the error message that is the subject line of this posting.  What is this due to and how can it be corrected?  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

This error occurs when you try to relink a file, but you choose the wrong one in the relink dialog. So for example file “A” is shown as missing. You click the exclamation point to relink it, but instead of choosing “A” at its current location, you select “B” by mistake. Because “B” is already in the catalog, you will get this error.

Another possibility is that you reimported the file before you tried to relink it. Because you reimported it, Lightroom now has two catalog entries. The original ent

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears after looking at the images in the collection that I have already re-linked them.  However, somehow, the same files are duplicated in the collection and are not linked.  How would this happen?  If you re-link a file, doesn't it override the file that whose link was lost?  How do I mass delete these "unlinked" files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error occurs when you try to relink a file, but you choose the wrong one in the relink dialog. So for example file “A” is shown as missing. You click the exclamation point to relink it, but instead of choosing “A” at its current location, you select “B” by mistake. Because “B” is already in the catalog, you will get this error.

Another possibility is that you reimported the file before you tried to relink it. Because you reimported it, Lightroom now has two catalog entries. The original entry that you try to relink, and the new entry. Because thay new entry exists, you get the error when to try to relink the original entry. The only way to solve this is by removing the newly imported image from the catalog again before you try to relink the original entry.

You say you moved files around. If you moved a folder of files, rather than individual files, then it’s much better to relink the entire folder, instead of the individual files. It should show as ‘missing’ (name in italics and a question mark). Right-click on it and choose ‘Find Missing Folder’. In the dialog that follows, navigate to the current location of that folder on the hard drive and select it. Done.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's the 2nd scenario.  Thanks for the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am encountering the same issue, with the only difference that there are no "duplicated files". 

For example, I imported file "A", which automatically is shown as missing (out of an import of 25 files, 21 are shown missing, and I can't find out why). So I click on the exclamation point to relink it, and choose the right file, file "A". But, even though I chose the right file, Lr pops up the error. When I click on "Show in Library" there is only one file "A" in the entire catalog. There are no duplicates of file "A".

How can I solve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do not attach images, but embed them, so other people do not have to download them to see them. Use this button:

Embed screenshot.jpg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure!

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 20.46.34.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 20.46.49.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 20.47.05.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 20.47.16.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 20.47.31.png

     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking 'Show in Library' will only show this one file, so that does not mean anything. What happens if you select 'All Photographs' and search for the file in there?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried that too. it only shows one file "A"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like catalog corruption. Do you have a catalog backup from before this happened?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I do, what should I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get a reply as Iv got exactly the same issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You get the message "the file [x] is associated with another photo in the catalog" because the photo is in your catalog more than once. You have probably (accidentally) imported this photo twice.

You need to find these photos in Lightroom. Follow all four steps in order:

1. In the Lightroom Classic Library Module, on the left, under Catalog, click on All Photographs
2. Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
3. Turn off all stacking (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
4. Search for at least one of these photos by file name using the Lightroom Classic Filter Bar

Let us know the results of this search, we can then inform you about the next steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue as described by toiamontesdeoca with 4 folders. I followed the instructions provided by dj_paige but Lightroom Classic still finds only one copy of the files that have these issue. Is there any other way to try to solve this?

lightroom cant find photo.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please start a new thread, and explain your problem in detail (which means ... do not say "I have the same problem as ... ").

In addition, please state clearly the version NUMBER of your Lightroom/Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What are the next steps?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst I never found a way to reconnect the lost images I have found a way to stop it happening. The next time I uploaded I ticked at import an option to not import suspected duplicate files. When I did this ever other thumbnail/file was greyed out and on closer examination I noticed that there was in fact 2 copies of ever file showing. By importing this way the files are staying connected. I don’t however know why I’m getting two copies of each file as I don’t see them on the SD card when in the camera, but I’m not worrying as Iv fixed my problem.

Regards Mandy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks Mandy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Andy25042048tudv 

Please start a new thread and explain your problem in detail. I'll be happy to help you in a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, noo sorry never got an answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@toiamontesdeoca this is a problem when there are several people asking (possibly) about slightly different problems, it's not clear who has been answered and who has not been answered. So one thread for one person's problem, not one thread for multiple people's problems. Please start a new thread, describe your problem in detail, and I will be happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines