• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error message: "The Lightroom catalog names Lightroom 5 cannot be opened...

New Here ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lightroom catalog names Lightroom 5 cannot be opened because another application already has it opened.

I have never seen this message before. It says to quit the other application but I have no idea what it's talking about. Access to ALL of my previous Lightroom work is denied. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you launch Lightroom, a lock file is created in the same folder as the catalog. The lock file prevents other users from accessing the catalog.

When you close Lightroom, the lock file will be deleted, but if LR crashes or freezes, or there is a power failure, the lock file may not be deleted.

The presence of a lock file when trying to launch LR will trigger this (confusing) error message.

The solution is to delete the lock file using the File Explorer. Do not delete anything else.

In your case the lock file will probably have the name Lightroom 5 catalog.lrcat.lock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines