• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error: "The following files were not imported because they could not be read or the destination.."

Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom Classic 9.2 on macOS Catalina 10.15.3.  I'm trying to import photos and videos from my iPhone XS Max/iOS 13.3.1.  The import process never ends.  What happens is:

• Start the import process to import ~1000 items from my iPhone attached directly via USB-C Lightning cable.  The destination folder is one which Lightroom has successfully imported photos to my SD card.
  • At the start of the import process, previews for a few photos are displayed initially and then none until I cancel the import.
  • After a few minutes, the progress bar shows no progress.
  • If I cancel the import process, an error is displayed. "The following files were not imported because they could not be read or the destination is not writable (1)"
    • The error shows a number of video files that could not be imported.  In this example, these files are 452,659,828MB.1__#$!@%!#__Pasted Graphic 1.png
  • Generally, the import process has imported many more photos/videos than the previews indicate.  The preview images don't seem to be a accurate indiactor of what's being imported.  This is a bug.
  • Over several imports, videos over 1GB in size have been imported from the iPhone, so sizeof the .MOV files doesn't seem to be the issue.
  • The error is misleading because the destination is writable because 100s of photos have been imported in previous attempts.

For  whatever reason, the import process gets stuck when importing certain videos.   For example, I let one import attempt go for about 2.5 hours.  Over several import attempts, I've been able to get most of the 1000 items imported.  But in total, it's taken me hours to do so when it should have taken me a fraction of the time.  The import process is broken: 

1. The progress bar doesn't accurately reflect progress.  [BUG]
  2. It gets stuck when it encounters an error and the only way to see the error is to cancel the import.  As a user, I don't know if progress is really taking a long time or whether it's stuck. [BUG]

Anyway, does anyone know what's going on here?  Why can't those files be imported?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the following. Access the System preferences > Security and Privacy > Files and folders, check if all the folders are selected for Lightroom Classic and also Photoshop. See the screen capture.

Screenshot 2020-02-13 at 10.00.31 AM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DdeGannes:  My permissions look correct:  I have my catalog and media on a removable drive.   Since imports work for most of my media, I don't think it's a permissions issue.  It appears as if some files (so far only a few .MOV files seem to be the cause of the import issue).  I also did not have any errors importing from my SD Card to the same destination folder. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 9.48.46 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can call it a bug until you rule out the possibility of a hardware malfunction (bad card reader, bad camera card, etc.) That's where I would look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

dj_paige:  I'm importing from my iPhone.  It's possible that there's something wrong with my iPhone, which seems to be running perfectly.  To rule that out, I used the macOS Image Capture app to import the file IMG_9866.MOV (one of the media files listed in the error screenshot in my first post) from my iPhone to the same destination directory used by Lightroom.  It worked perfectly without errors.  This leads me to believe that this is a Lightroom issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines