• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error reading Preview Cache

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I am just about beside myself.  Lightroom constantly gives me the "encountered error reading preview cache" message and then crashing.  I know I am not alone in this as I have seen it posted numerous times.  Only problem is all of the trouble shooting that worked for everyone else does not work for me.

I have tried deleting the previews file and then I tried the folder.  I tried purging the cache. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling lightroom.

It happens in multiple catlogues and across multiple harddrives.

It is making Lightroom unusable. 

Can anyone help.  This is beyond a joke.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is happening repeatedly, you have some sort of hardware problem. Most likely a disk malfunction, or  data transmission malfunction. You need to run diagnostics on ALL of your hardware to find possible malfunctions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, so run it on every hard drive and the computer itself?

*****UPDATE****

Consider this complete with no issues found

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done diagnostics on my hardware and no problems found.  So as far as I can tell it is not that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is no disk damage, the solution is probably to delete the entire preview cache and letting it rebuild. This is done by quitting the program, finding your catalog file and looking for the ...previews.lrdata file next to it with the same root name and moving that somewhere else. When you now restart the program, it will look scary at first since you will only see grey rectangles but the previews should automatically be recreated over time. Depending on the size of your catalog this might take a very long time.

Be careful with putting a catalog on a dropbox, Onedrive, or similar synced folder. This can cause database damage like you observe here. Don't know if you did this but it is one cause of corrupt preview caches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.Lets nake sure that when you deleated the previews, previews folder, you were doing as told in the following.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gives-error-preview-cache.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. And are you using smart previews, throught them out as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mentioned:

Purging the Camera RAW CACHE, that would not be it, that CACHE gets purged when you exit Lightroom Classic. And you would have an issue in Develop module.

Reinstalling Lightroom Classic, nope, not a program code issue.

Multiple catalogs, so that implies not a corrupt catalog.

Multiple drives, I will talk to that one next, do not want to conflict above with below (next post)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Multiple drives?

What have you located/relocated on multiple drives?

The catalog and Library Previews?

A different catalog and its previews, that also fails?

The Camera RAW CACHE, thats probably not it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines