• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Experiencing performance related issues in Lightroom 4.x

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else notice that lightroom 4 is slow? Ligtroom 3 always ran fast on my system but Lightroom 4 seemlingly lags quite a bit.

My system is:

2.10 ghz Intel Core i3 Sandy Bridge

8 GB Ram

640 GB Hard Drive

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

It's now impossible to see the wood for the trees in this whopping 43-page long thread.  Many of the original 4.0-4.2 performance issues have since been resolved, and it's impossible to figure out who is still having problems, and what they can try.

I've started a nice clean thread to continue this discussion for 4.3 and later. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1117506  Thanks to Bob_Peters for the suggestion.  I'm locking this one, otherwise it'll continue to get increasingly unweidly, but please f

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1716 Replies 1716
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious... this is a very old thread. Are you guys using LR 4.1

RC? There is a version out there which does improve speed but not for

all sliders and multi-monitor options. ADOBE says they are working on

the issues of performance... it has been several weeks and I like the

new features so I put up with the poor release. I can run either version

and I am not going backward. Note... if the 4.1RC version had not come

out I would have asked for my money back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using 4.1 and it is A LOT better than 4.0. I used 3.6 again the other day and it is still a bit speedier, but 4.1 is just fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have downloaded the 4.1 version but am unable to open the zipped folder, does anyone know which program to open it with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-download.  Something probably happened during download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't simply RUN the program, I downloaded the folder onto my desktop ..But it did open for me ..Now when I try to toggle over to CS5 it says I need CR6.7 ( instead of 7.0 ) yet when I go to the adobe site It won't download...also..The 4.1 isn't any faster than 4.0 was ...I'm seriously considering calling Adobe and getting my upgrade money back . I was very content with LR3 .I only upgraded to ....well...upgrade : < /   

Also ..when you toggle to CS5 ..they do give you the option to continue anyway ...I tried it and when trying to work a layermask with my Intuos 4 tablet ..the adjustment brush size doesnt show when turning the thumbwheel on the tablet .... Enough for me to say " goodbye " and log out ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I was very content with LR3"

Then just set the process version in LR4 to PV2010 and voila, LR3 controls and performance in LR4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My quick test shows a positive change in responsiveness for me, even over Lightroom 4.1 RC1. One thing that was really slow for me was switching back and forth between library and develop. I think this change may now even be faster than it was in Lightroom 3.

Adjusting the sliders is still not smooth for me. My CPU is spiking to nearly 100% moving the exposure and contrast sliders. The lag to display the changes is about 1 second behind the slider change. Change slider, wait 1 second, screen updates, change slider, wait 1 second, screen updates. Small adjustment changes like this are still taking a while on my machine.

Screen shot while adjusting the exposure slider (shows almost 1.7GB used memory and 95% of a dual-core Intel Core2 Extreme processor).

Thanks for paying attention to these forums and making the changes! Hopefully we can smooth out the issues and make Lightroom 4 the killer app it should be. J

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that zooming in and out is slower than RC1. For me, that means the 3D settings on my video card are incorrect. Because Lightroom RC2 loads in a new folder, the settings on my nVIDIA graphics card are reset back to default. With those settings I have all sorts of trouble in Lightroom. I setup the same application settings I was using for Lightroom 3 and RC1, and now my sliders are working great, and zooming in and out is quick.

I am using a laptop with an embedded NVidia Quadro FX 2700M video card.

I had a previous post about what 3D settings I use, but will repeat them here in case anyone else wants to try. Those with the * are the ones that I have changed in the application profile for Lightroom:

• Anisotropic Filtering: Off

• Antialiasing – Gamma Correction: Off

• Antialiasing – Mode: Override any application setting

• Antialiasing – Setting: 2x (2xMS)

• Antialiasing – Transparency: Off

• Buffer-flipping mode: Use block transfer

CUDA – GPUs: Use global setting (All)

• Enable overlay: Off

Exported pixel types: Use global setting (Color indexed overlay)

Maximum pre-rendered frames: Use global setting (3)

• Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: Compatibility performance mode

• OpenGL rendering GPU: Quadro FX 2700M

• Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance

Stereo – Display mode: Use global setting (Custom)

Stereo – Enable: Use global setting (off)

Stereo – Swap Eyes: Use global setting (Off)

Threaded optimization: Use global setting (Auto)

• Triple buffering: Off

Texture filtering – Anisotropic filter optimi: Off

Texture Filtering – Anisotropic sample opti: Off

Texture filtering – Negative LOD bias: Allow

• Vertical sync: Force On

I hope this helps!

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I downloaded the recent update and LR4.1 RC2 seems to be working well now... I was having trouble getting ACR6.7 on my machine but here is what I finally did to get it to load ..

First I downloaded the DNG converter that is available on the same page that the ACR 6.7 is available. I was able to simply " RUN " the file and didnt have to download it to my desktop and open it ...

Next I downloaded " SAVE"  ( the only way it would work ) the ACR 6.7 file to my desktop ..

then I followed these instructions from another Member :

Open CS5

Open the adobe patch instaler and follow the instructions

at one point you are prompted to close CS5 to continue the install.

It installed and now when I toggle from LR4 to CS5   ( Control / E ) I go straight to Photoshop and all my tools work well.   I'm not sure if I'll run into any glitches , but as for right now I am thrilled at Adobe's quick solution offering . The DNG converter stated that it would expire at the end of next month. Hopefully I'll be prompted when that occurs for a permanent download ...  Good luck and thanks to everyone for their input ...Enjoy,  Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgraded to RC2, overall seems much better performance than RC1. It is still slightly slower than 3.6 but getting better. I'm having no problems with zooming in and out, module changing or memory. I have an i7 machine,SSD drives and 12 gigabytes of RAM with external eSATA drive array and a Nvidia GTX470 video card. One thing that I did notice was the change in the CA removal and Defring sliders, Adobe must have been listening to everyone's complaint about CA sliders because the new implementation is nothing less than spectacular! Best CA removal tool I have ever used. There does seem to be some tweaking left to do, but this is an amazing start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's servers must be getting slammed, it's taking an hour to download this new RC. crazy.

I really hope it fixes the massive slow down problem  - and here's hoping for 5D3 and new Nikon Tethering support in 4.1 - an absolutly essential feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5D3 import is supported, but until the Nikon and Canon SDKs are updated, I'm don't believe tethering will be updated. Unfortunately I don't have a 5D3 to try it .

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5D3 RAW support yes, tethering support not right now... you have to do the dumb watched folder auto import thing right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And that's where Canon come in.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the Temp option in the graduated filter selection is BRILLIANT !! and outstanding for landscape shots ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using 4.0 with Camera Raw 7.0.  When I check for updates through LR it says my software is up-to-date.  I will go to the Adobe site and see if I can locate 4.1.  In the meantime, I have tried Madscapes suggestion and upped the cache to 80.0; don't notice much difference.  Thanks, Madscape.

Addendum: I just went to adobe.com and the only LR update I see is for LR3 posted in December.  If someone knows where they are hiding 4.1 I'll give it a shot.  Thank  you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4.1 release candidate is in Adobe Labs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.  I have the trial version of 4 but am unable to load 4.1.  The zip file just reloads 4.0 and won't install 4.1.  I'm guessing it is b/c it is still the trial version.  Of course, I don't want to buy 4 unless this is fixed.    I'd be happy sticking with LR3 if I were able to use the LR4 catalog that I created. So it seems I either lose all the work I did in 4.0 or just buy 4.0,  cross my fingers and hope they fixed it with 4.1? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone. Lightroom 4.1 RC2 just was released. They’ve got props on the release page with a special “thank you” to the users of the User-to-User forum (that’s us!) for providing insight into the issues that they have addressed in RC2.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4-1/

Check it out! Downloading now…

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.. I just installed it ..will try it tomorrow ...Man I was hoping for a lens profile correction for my Tokina 11-16  in version 4  : (-

But I did try one thing ...I toggled to CS5 and the tablet brushes and controls seem to work ok ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Tokina 11-16 is there. It doesnt get auto-applied though. You have to select Tokina in the dropdown of the lens corrections, and that lens is the first one in the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created one for the Nikon version of this lens ages ago that's on the

lens profile downloader list that does get autoapplied for me at least

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have said the Canon version.

My camera (60D) reports the lens as just 11-16, no other info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My LR4 is extremely slow capturing photos and video.  It took approx. 25 minutes to capture 71 RAW + jpg files.  This is totally unacceptable.

System:

I7

16 gb RAM

356 gb SSD

1.5 tb drives for Data

LR 3 was much faster.........what can I do to improve performance?

Thx,

PhilR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines